• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Les1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a DIY skimmer out of pvc and acrylic, as for a pump I bought a Rio 2500, I know they have a bad reputation but at 18 years old I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. The Rio 2500 had a Venturi attachment come with it, but when I hooked it all up and got it rumming it sprayed water out of the air input tube. Have I put it together wrong, or is it really just a piece of junk?
I was thinking also along the lines of getting a Kent Venturi Valve or a Beckett Venturi. I am not to clear on how these work exactally, as far as, I am thinking that from the looks of the Kent Valve it might spray water out instead of sucking air in, just like my current set up. Another Question is I how you need a powerful pump to run the Beckett Venturi, would a Rio 2500 be powerful enough at 748 gph?

I will hopefully get pictures up of this as soon as I get it running.

I am open to suggestions, thanks for your help in advance.

-Les
[email protected]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a venturi you can use that they come with, it's more of a bubbler, nothing you could use for a skimmer.

A rio is really not going to power a becket properly, or the kent venturi, you want a good presure pump for either.

mps9506

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of using the "venturi" that comes with the rio..
Take that fitting off the pump. Put the undergravel filter attachment on hte intake of the rio and drill a small hole in the side of it near the pump. Insert a peice of airline hose. You want the hose to be perpindicular to the intake stream of the rio.
Turn the pump on and it should start shooting a bunch of micro bubbles that work well for a skimmer :D
This is simply based on the needle wheel design of otehr skimmers, minus the needle wheel impeller.

Mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: