• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

So I took my 29g to the LFS to get a bulkhead drilled into it. I had voiced my concerns as to the location of the hole, because there were some issues of structural supports in my prefab stand. I needed at least a 1 1/2" clearance from the back of the tank so I wouldn't have to compromise the integrity of the stand. Much to my chagrin, my attention was elsewhere when he started to drill out the tank. He placed the hole about 4" from the back wall. Needless to say, on a 29g that's only 12" deep, that's a BFD.

So, now my standpipe is WAAAAAY out from the back wall, meaning no overflow box for me. As I understand it, this would eliminate the Durso mod for use (?). Would the stockman mod be suitable for this type of situation? Otherwise, I'll be left with a plain standpipe with some Grate Guard (or similar mesh type material) serving as a screen. This, I know, will give me that same sound we all know and love.

Could this be solved in the sump perhaps? I've seen people use different combinations of Ls and Ts to slow the flow and minimize the sound. This might be difficult, but not impossible for me because my sump is small, only 10g.

I tend to be longwinded, so in summation:

No corner overflow. Standpipe. Durso, Stockman, or sump solution?

TIA
Nathan

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still could go with an overflow box but it would take up a fair amount of room.

You do still have a fair amount of options. What I'd do is probably set the tank on your stand and experiment with using various modifications on either the Durso or Stockman standpipes and see what you can come up with. At this point probably a Stockman overflow is going to be the best option for you because of the points you listed above.

hth

Shane

AWD

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make a box similar to an overflow box, then drill a hole big enough to let the pipe to come in the bottom. Epoxy around the pipe and you're on your way.

Good luck,

Andy

ScottC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a custom tank? Acrylic or glass? A standard 29g glass tank isn't expensive to replace if you're really that unhappy with the placement of the hole. If it's an acrylic tank, the hole can be patched and a new one drilled out.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'd talk to the LFS about getting a GOOD deal on a new tank since they are the ones who drilled it wrong. Try asking them to trade you, or giving you a $5 new tank. They are the ones who messed up, why should you have to suffer.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: