• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jonovan02

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody.

After a long day of waiting... and waiting... and waiting for a manager at the local Home Depot my persistance finally paid off. The manager finally agreed to put in a special order for some of the infamous SOUTHDOWN PLAY SAND. Check out this article posted on reefs.org:

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen23.html

This is some good stuff... and cheap, too ($4.99/bag). I ordered 15 bags (50 lbs. each) for my 55 gal marine setup. I know, I know... 15 bags for a 55?! Must be a super deep sand bed. Well, this stuff is hard to come by. Especially on the West coast! I figured I might as well stock up. The only problem is that they said that they are going to have to charge me for the shipping from Pennsylvania to CA! (They haven't given me a quote on the shipping yet. I will call them tommorow.)

If there are any other people out there that NEED this sand, maybe we can place our orders together, and maybe if there are enough orders, they may be able to waive the shipping costs. I'll try to negotiate with the manager. Please contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.

...and/or contact this Home Depot and tell them that you want this sand!

"Home Depot Colma II" #639
2 Colma Blvd
Colma, CA 94014
(650)755-9600

AREA: CA-> Bay Area -> San Francisco, Daly City, South San Francisco, San Mateo, San Bruno, San Jose, Oakland, Richmond, Hayward, Freemont... etc. It's worth the drive!

brokekyle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if you know this but ... if you looked around you could've gotten it from other reefers in the Bay Area for 15-20 bucks a bag . yeah I know.. where was I when you were looking for it?!! sorry..

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jonovan02":37duiz0e said:
infamous SOUTHDOWN PLAY SAND

Infamous is right.

Worse purchase I have ever made: Saved $200 on the sand, lost $400-500 of corals. Colonies I have had for five years or more...

Pass on the Siltdown.
Seriously. If you have any corals in your tank, it just isn't worth it.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a Southdown quarry in NW NJ several weeks ago, and the play sand they had there was not the same as the FL stuff. It was in the same bag though, but this stuff was mined locally. my understanding was they had just bought this place recently. maybe that is the problem.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Southdown is definetely not something you want to add to an established system!!! Cycle it first and you'll probably get better results.

-AM-

bmccullough

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have crushed coral now in my 55 gallon tank, no corals just fish now i would like to get some coral later. my jantior crew keep dying would southdown sand be better than my crushed coral. i would like to remove all the crushed coral today. pick out the live blue leg crabs and snails, put down about 3 inches of sand and some live sand on top. would this work? :?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: