• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

guilford

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use a Durso standpipe in the overflow of my reef ready Oceanic aquarium to keep things quiet. Does it matter what I do with the overflow drain line underneath the aquarium? I am new at this and I don't understand if the standpipe plumbing parts in the overflow do all of the work to make it quiet, or if is also matter what I do with the drain line once it comes out of the bulkhead in the overflow?

For example, can I have the outlet under water, or does it have to be out of the water? Can I tee off the drain and have most of the water empty into my sump, but have a little of it empty into my refugium?

Thanks for your help,
Brad

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, it doesn't matter if the output is above or below water. Mine was below and I had no problems with the Stockman (same principle of the Durso).

highrpm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to do it how ever you want under the tank. I have one of my drains tee'd off to feed some of the flow to my fuge, the other side goes straight to the sump. I have my drain to the fuge under water, the drains to the sump are 1/2 inch above the filter floss/pad. You will just have to play around with it to get it to a noise level you can handle.

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: