• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about that thread title for an eye-grabber! Zzzzzz...

Anyhow, anyone care to share some initial readings? Mine is running at about 15BPM, effluent DKH about 20, system ph 7.8 first thing in the morning. I'm gonna keep dripping KW for a while; I don't want the ph to go any lower. Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap (no probe) way of checking effluent ph? Will a freshwater test kit work? They have the right range.

So far, seems to be working great.

Matt

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian;

I don't want to sound REALLY cheap, but when I called about that ph probe, they told me I would also need calibration fluid. The probe was $18; the fluid $16. Do I really need this stuff. I was thinking of distilled water as a calibration medium, I guess. Anyhow, I'm going to wait for your reply. For now, I'm just checking my system ph and alk in the morning, and keeping a close watch on my corals. ph is holding at 8.0 just before the lights come on, alk at 3.0-3.5meq. Not bad; it's actually right around the ph I had dripping vinegar spiked KW, and the alk is way higher already. Calcium is slowly rising, from about 350 to 370 after 2 days of operation.

I always had trouble getting my calcium and alk levels above 350 and 2.5meq with KW, even with the vinegar spiking. When I just had frags, it was okay, but as the corals grew, it just couldn't keep up. Sooo, I started adding lots of buffer and calcium chloride periodically, what a PITA.

Thanks again for this great course. I'm really looking forward to the skimmer class. In fact, let's get started right away on it :lol:

Matt

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to do a 2-point calibration for pH probes...at 7 and at 10. FWIW, pure water is hard to test pH on, so that's not a good solution.

If you're cheap, I don't know any way around it. You can run your reactor without testing pH, but it's very helpful in the beginning.

BRIAN

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: