• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MarkS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the only major downside to these surge devices... The noise generated as the water and air evacuate the small tube.

The small tube acts as a pressure relief valve. When the water rushes back in the device, the air in the device builds so much that it blows the water out of the tube, allowing the cycle to repeat.

What if a RCSD was designed with a pressure relief valve instead of the tubing? Most valves that I have seen are adjustable. It would require some tinkering to get the valve to open at the right pressure, but that is a small problem.

The main downside to this idea is that all relief valves I have seen are brass. However, this is not so much of a problem since the valve can be located at the top of the device where it would not come into contact with water. Maybe the addition of some baffles between the water and valve would help as well.

This should work the same as the tube, but the noise would be reduced to a hiss and not the typical wave crashing sound. On top of that, there are mufflers that are made just for these valves.

Any thoughts on this?

Mark

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds very interesting, but I have no insight on your idea. So basically, the only thing difference from a standard RCSD is that the air valve up top is replaced with a pressure release valve? Sounds very plausible for me, and since that area shouldn't get wet, brass ones should work fine. I'd love to hear how it works out. You can buy one and if it doesn't do what you think it should, return it to the store ;)

I don't know many people who use Reverse Carlson Surge Devices in their tanks because they displace so much volume in the tank. Are you using one? ANy pics?

MarkS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could post a pic of a RCSD diagram.

What the valve would replace is the inner plumbing that acts as a relief valve. The problem with this plumbing is that water and air explode out of it into the tank. This creates a terrible amount of noise.

I am not using one yet, but there are several members on RC that use them. I am following a thread there in the DIY forum about RCSDs. One member built an all-in-one nano with a built in RCSD. I plan on copying his plans, with some modifications.

They do displace a lot of water, but that means that you must either keep the waer level low in the tank or use a sump and a very large overflow box.

Mark

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just run your exhaust tube down into your stand and blow it into the sump instead of the main tank? The stand itself will muffle the exhaust sound... Or make some sort of silencer for it -- like a hand gun silencer.

Shane

MarkS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shane, those are the typical solutions to this problem.

What I am trying to do is completely eliminate the exhaust tube. Basically, make the simpilest surge device simpler and eliminate the only major downside at the same time.

What I want to know is if it would work.

Actually, I need to know what PSI it would take to blow water out of 1/2", 3/4", 1", etc., PVC. If the PSI required is higher than 1 PSI, this will work.

Basically, nothing about the surge changes. At the top of the surge device is a 90 degree ell. Attached to that is the valve. The exhaust tube is eliminated and the valve takes over for that. When the pressure reaches the set level for the valve, it opens and releases the pressure. The water rushes in and the cycle restarts.

Mark

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For every 2.3 feet you go down in the water, you increase PSI by 1 PSI. If your tank isn't deeper than this, then you won't be above 1 PSI.

Shane

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: