• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Would a QuiteOne or Velocity pump work ok with this reactor? The Little Giant pump if too noisy.

Louey

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Velocity pumps get REALLY hot on reactors, from what I've seen. I'm sure they would work, but the reactor itself was quite hot. I think Quiet Ones would also do the same, because they are direct drive pumps.

Interesting you find it noisy...they've never bothered me, but then again, I'm running alot of pumps on my tank.

BRIAN

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, you are right. They do run hot. I have a QuiteOne running my 75 and it did add a couple of degrees to the water. The only other pump is a RIO 3100 running my Lifereef skimmer. My tank is fairly quite. The only noise comes from the return splashing into the sump and the noise of two fans running. Still pretty quite though.

The tank is in the family room, so noise is an issue. I may put the reactor in my office which is directly behind the tank. I'll pop a small hole in the wall and run the lines through.

Louey

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Louey;

Why don't you ask around about the iwaki for this setup? When I was looking for a return pump, seems most opinions were that the iwaki was the best combination of quiet, cool, and reliable. I bought one of the american motor ones (WMD) supposedly they run a bit hotter than the japanese ones, but they're still way cooler than the velocity pumps.

FWIW, the eheim pump is essentially silent. You could see if there's an eheim that has the flow you need.

Your posted pictures of your reactor look great.

Matt

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: