• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SalmonAlley

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The contractors are literally, at this moment painting the finished basement, and want to know it there are concerns regarding what type of paint can or cannot be used in the small area where the tank will be. The concern is that some 'Hi moisture area' type paints contain Mildewcides which might be detrimental to tank inhabitants. Any advice on type of paint to use?
Keep in mind the tank is empty now. Our concern is that condensation may carry substances from the dry paint into the tank.

Thanks a million
SA

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you only need to worry if you have condensation that drips from the wall into the tank.
Otherwise, once the paint is dry, I wouldn't worry.
If it is not too late, seal the tank with tape and plastic to avoid any 'icky' paint stuff from getting in there. If it is too late, make sure you give the tank a nice rinsing or wipedown before setting it up.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Righty. As long as the paint is dry and you don't have condensation dripping from the painted surface into your tank you should have nothing to worry about. :)

Shane

SalmonAlley

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Part of my concern though, is that there is an overhead sophet (sp.?) which partially projects over part of the open tank. Although it's not likely, it is possible that condensation could accumulate here, then drip into the tank.

What if I went with something like KILZ as a primer coat, and just a regular latex semigloss over that? Any problems there?

SA

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: