• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered two from him off ebay. This is just a float switch, so you are a long way from having a auto top-off system. Plus, you should have two float switches connected in series to protect yourself from when one fails open. A single float switch has lead to many disasters over the years. With float switches, it is not a matter of "if" they fail, it is a matter of "when" they fail.

Design your system accoringly.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I mean in series. The reason is so that both float switches have to be calling for water to engage the circuit. If either fails, meaning stuck in the on position, then the circuit is not engaged. The ideas if to create a fail-safe against the possibility of flooding your tank and house. A parallel circuit would mean if either float switch closes, your circuit would engage.

Louey

glaze

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the info. Keep me posted on how well it works or if anyone has experiences or recommendations with other float switches or float valves.

My strategy will be to use a reservoir that's only 3 gallons. It means I have to refill more often (every 4-5 days for me), but limits the amount of potential damage from a complete drainage due to stuck-open valve. In fact, I like to keep my sump level low as insurance against this and the more important risk: back-siphon from a return.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine using it in that manner. I am sure that float switch will serve it's intended purpose.

How are you planning to mount the float switch?

How are you going to wire it to your pump?

Just curious. :wink:

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: