• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

calvin-x

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to do a quick sanity check before I started sawing and re-arranging.

I got my new aquastarlight 1x150W DE MH pendant and it is actually 14" too long (WOW - my fault for misreading the description before I bought it from the seller).

I opened the unit up and it looks like I should be able to do a little modifying to make it fit my needs, however I want to make sure that I don't ruin the light in some way.

Here's my plan, with pictures for your comments:

1. Here's the light as is
LinkPhoto

2. Now here's the "exploded view" with a screwdriver and a sharpie showing where the light would need to be cut on either side in order to hit my 20" length spec
LinkPhoto

I have checked the dimensions of each component and the wiring and it looks like I should be able to fit the pieces on both sides into the allocated amount of space. In addition, I wouldn't even need to disconnect any wires except those coming into th unit from the power cord.

Essentially I would just need to move things closer together (Duh). On each side my thought is to mount the smaller pieces onto the side of the unit and leave the larger pieces on the top/bottom allowing for as much space as possible in between the components themselves. (The fit would be pretty close for the components on the right side of the picture)

The result would be a net effect of bringing the two pieces closest to the bulb approximately 1 - 1.5" CLOSER to the bulb - leaving approximately 1.5" between the bulb and the CLOSEST electrical component rather than the approximately 3" that exists now.

In a nut shell, my question is whether or not moving things closer to the bulb (i.e., ) heat will cause any major problems? Also, I am curious whether moving the electrical parts closer toghether might also create some sort of problem that I am not anticipating (stronger magnetic field?).

My current comfort level in doing this mod resides in the fact that there is an aquaspacelight mini that is only 16" long (although it is also 7" wider).

Hopefully this makes sense. Anybody recommend against doing this modification? (BTW, I could probably get away with only removing 11 or 12" instead of 14" but that is about all the room that I can spare)

Better yet, is there anyone with an aquaspacelight mini who is willing to open it up and take some photos for me?

TIA

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: