• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, now that I'm married, back from the honeymoon and moved in to our new place I have finally been able to concentrate on this project.

Routing went very smoothly and was very fun. I wish we had more parts to rout. I had one problem cutting the bubble counter top when the template came loose from the acrylic and I made some funky oval shape. But, luckily I had enough scrap to work a new one. The hole ended up off center but the edges look really good.

Now for the gluing....
I was gluing everything up last night and the bubble counter looks TERRIBLE. I know exactly what I did. I went to set the weight on top of the tube. I hadn't centered it so I lifted it up and centered it. This allowed the seam to suck in air and now my seam looks like seltzer. So, I was careful to not repeat my mistake on the other end. So, I shot the seam and applied the weight. This seam looks horrible as well. It has larger bubbles than the other side, and doesn't look very good.

Are these seams ruined? Should I have applied more weight? I'm scared my money seams on the 6" tube are going to look like crap. Does anyone have any pointers other than what's in the lesson?

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kurt

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh! :oops:

No, I didn't. I just sanded the 6". I didn't remember reading to prep the 2". I was thinking that we didn't need to sand it since this was extruded and the glue would soften the rough edges enough to make a decent seam. I guess that's what I get for thinkin'! :?

I think I'm going to go ahead with the gluing of the large tube to top tonight and see how it goes. I've already prepped it and ready to run with it.

I might redo the bubble counter later on once I find some good cast. This reactor is going on a new 90g that I am planning so I have some time to do the fix before I have to fire it up. If I can't find any before the Skimmer Course I might have to have you slip some into that package for a little extra $$. :wink:

Thanks Fergy. I'm a learnin'.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: