• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm planning on my 90 gal (reef to be) aquarium for a long time now. I
was initially planning on a single powerful pump in the sump
(submerged or external, contender Iwaki MD40RLT or Mag18) that will do
everything: return from the sump, refugium (very small ~ 10 gal),
circulation in the main tank via a manifold and possibly skimmer (a
counter-current, non-venturi, DIY).

However, after stumbling over the overflow calculator at RC it became
clear that through my 1" overflow I'll not be able to get out of the
tank more than 600-700gph, which is clearly not enough circulation in
the tank.

The good news, is that I realized that I probably need to supplement
the sump pump with a circulation pump anyway, and hence I will use two
(smaller, say 900gph, like a Mag 7, Ocean Runner 3500 or Eheim 1262)
pumps, one in the sump and one for circulation.

The problem is that I absolutely do not want to see powerheads or
plumbing in the main tank (I find them UGLY), and hence I plan to hide
the circulation pump in my overflow (I have a relatively big overflow
8"x5.5", and the only other thing in the overflow is a 1.25" Durso
stand pipe). I do not plan to drill the tank for an additional closed
loop with external pump (space reasons + aesthetics).

I would love to be able to feed both pipes in the same manifold, but
it seems that I open myself to flood the sump and the living room if
my sump pump fails. Hence I need two separate manifolds. I think that
the current design (see attached figure) will work when everything
works and is safe to the failure of any of the two pumps.

I have a few questions regarding this setup:

1) Did I miss anything? It will work, right? It will be fail safe,
(i.e. I'll have some circulation in the tank and no floods)
regardless of which of the pumps would fail.

2) What flow do I need through the sump. I saw somewhere on RC that I
need 3-7 times the volume of the tank, but I didn't see any
explanations regarding the reasoning behind this
numbers. Basically, flow-wise, the sump should take care of feeding
"dirty" water to the skimmer and possibly to the algae scrubber and
refugium. It does this very well at 2 times the volume of the
aquarium per hour, doesn't it? Then why push it to 7x?

3) Do you recommend any submersible QUIET, reliable pumps for about
900gph - 1200gph at 0 head, to put one in the sump and overflow? My
research on RC lead to the following candidates (possibly in this
order: Eheim 1262, Ocean Runner 3500, Mag 7, and I know - no Rios
which is a shame, as I already have 2xRio 1400 that came with the
setup; the velocity pumps are also not reliable for salt water, so
not good). Also heat transfer is a concern as my living room tends
to be hot.

4) The Durso pipe would work fine even if "bent" (to create more space
in the overflow box for the circulation pump.

In case you wonder, I prefer a submerged pump for the sump to reduce
the noise and to gain some space for other things that have to fit in
my *tiny* stand: refugium, skimmer, calcium reactor, automatic
top-off.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Mihai

Attachments

• setup2.gif
    setup2.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 777

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Looks like it should work OK provided you can fit the pump in the overflow box and the overflow can handle the volume generated by both pumps.

2) I think 5X-10X is a good turnover rate with the sump. More would be better IMO. Keep in mind that if you have extremely low turnover with the sump small particulate matter will likely settle-out in the main tank and never reach your skimmer (or filter pads, micron bags, etc. for those who use them).

3) IME the Ocean Runners are much quieter and have less heat transfer than Mags. They are also much sturdier build quality IMO. Can't recall ever using an Eheim. As for quiet, the new Lifeguard Quiet Ones are submersible and might be worth looking into.

4) Not sure what you mean by "bent" here...

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I wouldn't use a submersible return pump again. Too much maintenance (and heat transfer with some models). I'd rather deal with the noise of an external...LOL

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see what you meant in question 4 about the bend now...

That would still work, but it will reduce the capacity of the drain slightly. What about just having the bulkhead over to one side of the overflow box so you don't have to do that?

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,

I agree with most of your comments except for the particulate matter settling: the circulation pump in the overflow will provide brisk circulation in the main tank (say 700-1200gph) in addition to the relatively small turn-over from the sump (200-400gph). Therefore the water in the main tank should have lots of turbulence and not allow the particles to settle...

Regarding the placement of the bulkhead in the overflow box I'm sorry to report that it is already drilled and it in the wrong place :-(

Does anybody have any experience with the new QuietOnes? I heard that the old (but not very old) ones had serious reliability problems (but were dead silent). I heard mostly good things about the OceanRunners.

Thanks,
Mihai

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mihai":152nb3jk said:
I agree with most of your comments except for the particulate matter settling: the circulation pump in the overflow will provide brisk circulation in the main tank (say 700-1200gph) in addition to the relatively small turn-over from the sump (200-400gph). Therefore the water in the main tank should have lots of turbulence and not allow the particles to settle...

IME, detritus and other particulates are still going to settle out in your system. There's no question that the additional circulation will help keep things in suspension, but I would still advise against too low of a turnover rate between the sump and the main tank.

I have about 20X-25X of circulation in my display tank (not counting the return pump) and detritus still manages to settle out (which I syphon out periodically). I have about 7X-8X turnover with the sump on my current tank, and I'll have more on the next one for sure.

One possible explanation for this (drawing from water treatment engineering principles here) is that if the particles aren't removed (ie. making it to the skimmer, micron bag, filter pad) in a reasonable amount of time and they're just floating around in the water column of the main tank, they'll eventually flocculate and end up as larger clumps that will settle out (in the main tank) never making it to the filters.

There are other possible benefits of good turnover between the main tank and the sump too, such as more uniform temps and water conditions throughout the system, more favorable O2/CO2 levels, etc.

It's your call - this is JMO/JME...

Mihai":152nb3jk said:
Regarding the placement of the bulkhead in the overflow box I'm sorry to report that it is already drilled and it in the wrong place :-(

What about having the overflow box offcenter to make room? Or maybe using 45s instead of 90s to minimize the capacity loss of the drain? Personally, with a single 1" drain on this size tank I'd want all the capacity I could possibly get.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chris, this makes sense. However, some DSB advocates say to leave the detritus that gets on the sand there, the detritivores will eventually get it...

20-25 times!!!! How do you get that circulation? Powerheads? That's a lot of circulation.

Thanks a lot for the help,
Mihai

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mihai":205e0wxh said:
Thanks Chris, this makes sense. However, some DSB advocates say to leave the detritus that gets on the sand there, the detritivores will eventually get it...

There are those that feel a DSB has a limited lifespan and the more detritus that gets into it the quicker it will reach the end of that useful life. It's a complicated issue, and one I certainly don't know enough about to debate. Personally, I'm no longer a DSB advocate (after trying one) but that's just my personal preference.

Mihai":205e0wxh said:
20-25 times!!!! How do you get that circulation? Powerheads? That's a lot of circulation.

Anyway I can!:) As long as flow velocities stay reasonable, there's really no such thing as too much flow, so the more the merrier! I'd say it's almost impossible to replicate the flow volumes found on natural reefs in a small glass/acrylic tank, but it doesn't hurt to try. ;)

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch. The thing about the DSB is scarry!
You're the first I heard saying bad things about
a DSB (except for the extra space it takes).
But I guess that this is another topic. I

Thanks a lot,
Mihai

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: