• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pomme

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borneman Flush Device, has anyone tryed it?

Hiys guys, i hope your all well.

I have just been reading 'Aquarium Corals' by Eric Borneman and was looking at the water movement bit and came across his flush device on p.341.

It is basically a resevoirtankabove the tank which is fed by a pump. The resevoir has a bulkhead in the side which has a toilet flush valve, so when the water fills to a certain level,the float has risen and pulled the flush flapperup so opening the valveand then water drains back down to the tank.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it and found it works etc.

Andrew

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works, and many people has it implemented. It is one of a dozen or so of device that can be grouped together under the term, "wavemakers."

If you do a search, I am sure you can find specific people that used it and their feedback on the device.

Mogo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built one of these and after some tinkering, I love it. Easy and inexpensive to build. The effect is awesome. Mine surges 4 gal about once a minute. Tank (aquarium) drawdown is about 1/4 inch on my 140. Mag 2 pump. I ended up using an elastic band to attach the flapper to the float after alot of fiddling to get the flapper to open. Works perfect. Downside is that they (mine) is fairly noisy like a flushing toilet. I recommend them highly. In fact I'm going to build another one at the other end of the so I get a 30 sec surge period. I will attach photo's if I can reduce the file sizes.

pomme

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah please, whats the size of the tank/tub you use for the surge resevour and whats the out put of the mag 2 pump?

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The surge tank is 4 gal, if I read it correctly. The output of a Mag2 is 250 gal/hour (250gal/hr ~-> 4 gal/min).

Mogo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The surge tank is 5 gal. A high tech $2 bucket. The mag 2 is 250 gph. My construction photos are 8 megs. New one here.

Attachments

• dsc00012.jpg
    dsc00012.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 693

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: