• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MelanieF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the planning stages for upgrading to a 75 gallon. I know that i will be using VHO's on legs above the tank.

My question is this. I don't want to have a glass top as this would just add another glass layer to diffuse the light as the lighting system has its own shield from the water. A man at the LFS suggested that I use plastic gridding or a screen that doesn't consist of metal.

I will need some type of cover as I will have fish capable of jumping. Any suggestions on the best solution or where I might find those materials online?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Melanie

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the material and geometry of the screen, most likely it will diffuse more light than a regular glass.

Go with acrylic or glass for max. light. Use screen if you want to cut down the intensity (say, when new MH bulb is installed).

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use the egg crate covers they use for fluorescent lighting fixtures... the holes in it are pretty big though which means that it wouldn't stop the smaller fish from jumping but it wouldn't block as much light either. It would also allow much better gas exchange in your tank than a glass or acrylic lid. HTH.

Arlan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: