• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Kevin1000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to place a HOB fuge on my 55 gallon. I have about 6 inch clearance in the rear of the tank. (no sump and no room for one)

I was thinking about a fuge that was about 12 inches tall, 5 inches deep and anywhere from 18 -30" long.

Query: This makes sense?

Query: Anyone have any plans for a basic HOB fuge that I can use as a primer?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

down&dirty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also aquatic ecosystems. Their filter system is strictly a HOB fuge. I used one on my 55 gallon for a while, but got tired of the constant top-offs required to keep a HOB working. The filter ran 30-36 inches long and 8 inches deep. It worked really well. I can post pics or drawings of the support structure later if you would like them.

Kevin1000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down & dirty

Thanks for the reply. I am a little confused why a HOB fuge would require top off? Seems to me that with a pump the fuge would maintain the same level as the tank - when you topped off the tank it would automatically adjust the fuge - is this wrong?

Thanks for your help!

baseman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keven - as hdtran said, the CPR aquafuge would fit. It comes with a pump (small rio, I think around 150gph) that keeps the water level constant. Design wise, it's an acrylic box with two baffles, one on each end. Ouside the baffles are the input and output. I have the CPR medium size (18"). They come with a siphon setup for the output, but I modified mine to gravity feed the output.

Kevin1000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
baseman

Thanks for the response.

Seems to me that the Cpr hob fuge or similar knock off is the way to go. Suspect that for the money - may not make sense to go through the hassle of building one myself.

Once again thanks.

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as I get my custom sump thats being built as we speak I will sell you my 18" aquafuge if you want. Only 2-3 weeks old. PM me....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: