• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I've been planning a hood using NO Flos that are easily available at home depot, and sacrificing on over all power, but I've just found a supply of 55W PCs for $30 for 4 (21"). Now first is this a good deal? a little googling seems to show they go for almost $30 each. Next what are some ballasts that could handle this? Are their special ballasts for PC bulbs? or would a ballast that can handle 55W bulbs be sufficient?

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather it is good deal depends on the color temperature. If the kelvin rate is too low, it is probably only good for household lighting, not reef. You probably want something 7000K or higher to be of value.

Almost all ballast that can handle 55W bulb should be able to drive them. You need to find the socket that fix the pin configuration on the bulb, which is more difficult to find locally (most go online or Grainger, etc.). Oh, PC bulb and NO flor. use the same ballast, just match the wattage.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
taikonaut":267hst6w said:
Rather it is good deal depends on the color temperature. If the kelvin rate is too low, it is probably only good for household lighting, not reef. You probably want something 7000K or higher to be of value.

Almost all ballast that can handle 55W bulb should be able to drive them. You need to find the socket that fix the pin configuration on the bulb, which is more difficult to find locally (most go online or Grainger, etc.). Oh, PC bulb and NO flor. use the same ballast, just match the wattage.
Well the bulbs are 10000k and 50/50 (daylight/actinic) assuming daylight to be either 5000k or 6500k.

But wow, a 55W ballast for a NO fluorescent would work? That's great news, I was having trouble finding a PC ballast as I thought it was a different beast than a regular Flo ballast. Now if I can just find one that gives me the most bang for the buck (ie have 4 off one) I'll be set!

Thanks again.

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out IceCap ballast or AdvancedTransformer ballast. Many ballast can drives 4 PC bulbs. AdvancedTrans. should be available locally, maybe in electr. contractor places.

Here is one diagram I steal off MarineDepot.com:

lt_ic_biax430-4.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advanced transformer! That I did find out, the FT55W/2G11 looks like the part that I'd need. Now I just need to find it! I did read another message someplace that said the Fulsum(sp) Workhorse 7 would also sub in, but looking at their specs page, its seems that with these bulbs they can only do 3 @ 55W.

Anyways against thanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: