• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cjmagm1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 4 2' by 4' pieces of PETG off of ebay for a small refugium and was wandering if it could be used with the weldon16(which after i went to my local sign shop they were able to order a pint for me) I have been doing some searches on the web and it seems some say no and some say yes but be generous with the solvent almost as if the dip method were to be used or maybe a brush like the weldon16 container says that i got. :wink: Thank you in advance Craig

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about PET* plastics (polyester), but one thing I can tell you is that it is not the same as lexan, which is polycarbonate.... I think you can use methylene chloride based solvent on it, such as WeldOn, due to its solubility.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PETG is it the same as lexan?
Nope, PETG (polyethylene teraphthelate glycol) is a polyester while lexan is polycarbonate, as CK mentioned. Not at all the same chemically, but has some similar qualities. You can use methylene chloride based solvents (such as Weld-on 3, 4, 5, 16) and IIRC some THF (tetrahydrafuran) based solvents such as Weld-on 2007 or simple PVC pipe cement. Not sure how it will hold up under pressure, if anything like Lexan - not well over time.
It does cut and machine like Lexan, very soft plastic and "grabby" so use caution when using power tools on this stuff.

HTH,
James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: