• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

GLD

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My false floor is leaking !!

Sorry for the long introduction, but the question (at the end) won't make sense without it.

To increase circulation rates, I have converted the "dry" overflow chamber on my DAS tank to a "wet" overflow. My tank is 7 yrs old and its overflow is comprised of two vertical chambers. As designed, one chamber is the actual overflow, and the other was drilled on the bottom with 3 overlapping 1" holes (visualize 3 - 1" holes cut side-by-side so that they intersect) so that wires and pipe could be run up from the cabinet below the tank.

Since I couldn't drill the bottom of the "dry" chamber to add a bulkhead, I built a false floor and attached a 2-1/2" piece of flexible pipe to the bulkhead that I installed in the middle of the false floor.

I then lowered the false floor into the "dry" chamber, and worked the flexible pipe through the irregular holes that had been cut originally in the bottom of the chamber for the wires and pipe. The flexible pipe is compressed into an oblong shape as it passes through the holes, but I still have 2"+ of cross-sectional area to move a bunch of water.

My problem is this. I siliconed the false floor into place, but had difficulty working the silicone into every edge because of limited room. Even so, the silicon held until I pushed a little too hard while installing the durso standpipe.

My question is this. Is there an acquarium safe sealer that starts off as a liquid, one that I could simply pour onto the top of my false floor and then let it set up?

or

do they make acquarium grade silicon in caulking gun sizes? If so, is there any reason that I couldn't fill the entire area below the false floor with silicone. I could insert the nozzle of the tube in between the outside of the flexible hose and the inside of the irregularly-shaped overlapping holes and then fill the area (about 36 cubic inches) above the original floor of the chamber and below the false floor that I installed.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

George

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: