• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mount it remotely in a computer case, it is fine. In fact, it is how I did mine.

cjjacrise

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do for a socket, reflector, etc. Also why did you mount it in a computer case. How about the noise? I'm looking for ideas on making m own.

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because in my first email response they said;

"Yeah, alot of people order these for aquariums"

In my second email reply he said:

" The ballast and wires can't be exposed to any water, also, this unit is not UL listed because it is a replacement kit"

Im no electrician and not sure about UL listings. I just wanna make sure my house wont burn down lol

-puff

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Len, this is onle of the threads that I want to move to the DIY forum.)

If you fellows are patient enough, I will post some pics on my setup so that you will know what I am talking about.

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got egged by the audience next week, one of you is going to pay for the dry clean! ;)

First pic there are two 400W MH F-can ballasts by Advance Transformer in a computer case.

The second pic is a close up of the Molex adoptors for the two PFO moguls and harnesses.

The third pic is a coil&core ballast, 400W by a generic company. You can see the capacitor inside the computer case.

All wiring are under-spec, so don't be too proud if your looks like mine. I do better work professionally. The pic are for illustration purpose only, and you need to consult with wiring diagram for your particular ballast.

Attachments

• dscn6386.jpg
    dscn6386.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 895
  • dscn6383.jpg
    dscn6383.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 898
  • dscn6382.jpg
    dscn6382.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 899

cmoresps

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same type of thing, but I used an old army round case I got from northern, installed an on/off switch, works very well, my concern was that these kits dint come with a capacitor bracket to isolate them from a ground, in a 400 w, not sure if it would make a diff.

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh, wow a computer case is a little big for most ballast.... id build a custom enclosure... that one ballast is huge, but most of the parts Usually with fit in a much smaller box.... your ballasts look already encased.....

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
420puff":35jslexx said:
" The ballast and wires can't be exposed to any water, also, this unit is not UL listed because it is a replacement kit"

Im no electrician and not sure about UL listings. I just wanna make sure my house wont burn down lol

-puff

The reason this is not UL list may be for many reasons but the most likely is because UL would require it to be in a case. Most internal parts of industrial equipment are not UL listed.

By putting this unit in a case you don't make it "UL listed"; but, you do address the issue of protecting the people, animals and other objects from possible shocks, or burns.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: