• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ryan7

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on building my own glass sump. I am trying to find out what is the best silicon to use to put the glass together?

I have done some research but am also wondering if anyone has any tips when it comes to putting the glass together. Or any other tips in general.

much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No particular brand, simply MUST be 100% PURE SILICONE. That's it.

I've never built from scratch, but if I did then a jig or some means of strapping together the first four walls would be my route. Then you'd set that on top of the bottom plate.

You MUST ensure there are NO bubbles in the bead! Less in the seam is better, but you can go generous, then take a wet finger to remove the bulk. Once you really get good you'll be able to just draw a bead, set, run your fingey over it, and let her cure!

New silicone will never bond to old silicone.

It will stink like vinegar, be prepared.

Snatch de pebble from my hand, Grasshoppah. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used electrical tape to hold the glass together, worked great and like Seamaiden said it will stink like vinegar (actually worse, its ammonia being released) so be prepared. I'd do it in a well ventilated place, it can be very over whelming.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you've heard it before but...

DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT SAYS KITCHEN OR BATH!

Yes, I mean it! :wink:

FWIW: I've had good results with GE Type I (comes in a blue tube.)

And yes, the smell can be very potent. - I re-sealed a 20g just a few weeks ago and the family was giving me dirty looks for a couple days.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the sump going to be really big or a really weird size? You might be able to get a standard tank the size you want for cheaper than you can build one.

Use Type I silicone. all the others have algecides/bacticides, ect in them that aren't too good for a reef.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":11tn7o3o said:
I've used electrical tape to hold the glass together, worked great and like Seamaiden said it will stink like vinegar (actually worse, its ammonia being released) so be prepared. I'd do it in a well ventilated place, it can be very over whelming.

Gresh, you sure about the ammonia thing? I've always read that it's the acetic acid that's being released.

Ryan7

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all.

Is the best way to start, to glue all of the sides together first and then place on top of the bottom or vice versa?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the sides together first, yes. You really want to avoid them pulling apart once you've got them together, that will introduce bubbles and destroy the integrity of that sweet bead you just drew.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":30tlnmy3 said:
GreshamH":30tlnmy3 said:

Gresh, you sure about the ammonia thing? I've always read that it's the acetic acid that's being released.
It can be both, along with methyl & ethyl alcohols depending on the particular silicone but the ammonia release during curing is usually limited to "condensation cure" or "humidity cure" silicones. *Generally* speaking though it's acetoxy which releases the harshest of acetic acid smells during cure like in GE Silicone I. The Silicone II is considered a neutral cure and shouldn't have nearly the smell. Personally, I prefer the Dow Corning #795 for aquarium use though it is harder to find, more expensive, and takes more time to fully cure - 5-7 days or so depending on how large the bead is. Most folks end up using the GE "Door & Window" silicone II though just for price and convenience ($3 at Home Depot)

HTH,
James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn't help the original poster, I at least sure appreciate it James... - Thanks!

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the size of the sump gonna be? you can get a 10 gal glass tank at like petsmart for 10 bucks or so. no need to worry about silicone or leaks or ammonia or air bubbles or electrical tape or the awful smell...see the direction i'm heading in?:wink:

Ryan7

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ricky1414":2qa3ex4n said:
whats the size of the sump gonna be? you can get a 10 gal glass tank at like petsmart for 10 bucks or so. no need to worry about silicone or leaks or ammonia or air bubbles or electrical tape or the awful smell...see the direction i'm heading in?:wink:

Not a option for me.

Thanks again for the info everyone.

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a 39 gal (Yes it was a weird size :oops: ) tank.

I found that building on the base was far easier for me. Just use 2-liter soda bottles to hold the back up right. Then fit the sides. Finish it up by fitting the front in place. If the pieces of glass are square, it should go together easily. The bottles don't eliminate the need use tape on the seams; they just allow you to build it without having 3 hands :lol: .

The other advantage of building on the base is that you can finish the seam easier.

I finished the top edge with PVC molding used for 1/4" paneling. It had a nice wood grain on it :) .

I made it for less than a similar bought tank because the glass shop had "used glass." Shops around you may not sell used glass. It is usually just thrown away.

Also...While you can cut glass yourself, you will need a glass grinder to insure the edges are square and the razer sharp edges is removed. Trust me, it is easier (and safer) just to pay for the shop to "seam" the glass for you. In fact, at least three shops in my area will not sell unseamed glass.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: