• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on where to buy acrylic sheets (need black and "smoked" as well as clear) and acrylic tubes? I'm really interested in testing out an idea me and my friend have been brewing for a DIY "system."

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look in the yellow pages under - Plastic - Sheet, Rod, Tube, Film or something similar.

I found a company in my area that is called Acme Plastics. They carry a decent stock, but their prices are kind of high. If you live in a larger area, you may find better pricing due to the competition.

Fergy preaches that only domestic cast should be used in our applications. The only domestic products available are Spartech Polycast, Cyro Acrolite GP, and Atofina PlexiGlass-G.

Louey

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":5xhfc9tx said:
Any recommendations on where to buy acrylic sheets (need black and "smoked" as well as clear) and acrylic tubes? I'm really interested in testing out an idea me and my friend have been brewing for a DIY "system."
Do what Louey (our wonderful new Mod) says, he's learned well :)

James

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there's no good online place to order acrylic sheets? Or maybe pipes? Is shipping too prohibitive?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USplastics.com sells sheet and tube, but I do not know how the prices and shipping compare to others. I have bought from them before on other item and was satisfied.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a quick peek at what James (Acrylics) wrote in this thread Len... - The guy seems to know his stuff! :D

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aawwe, how sweet ;)

Mayhaps another business to start up eh?
Freight does become an issue as it can negate any savings one may get from an online vendor. USPlastics does sell Cyro sheet but AFAIK their site does not say whether it's cast or extruded sheet. My *guess* is that it's extruded as most folks who sell cast tend to brag about it, and they do make this differentiation on tube. Their pricing is reasonable I suppose, they're making a good profit but then again they have to invest a bunch of $$ to get it so I guess it's deserved.
Most distributors (Laird, GE Polymershapes, Port, Etc.,) will ship via UPS.
Also, as insofar as tube goes, one of the problems comes down to breakage. In the larger diameter tubes (8"+), the odds of the tube coming in cracked run right around 50% due to boxes being improperly packaged (they don't come packaged well from the factory either) then dropped by the carrier, which simply makes it a PITA for the vendor selling it so they mark their prices way up to accommodate for this issue.

HTH,
James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bah! - I don't see why you couldn't compete with online vendors.. - Heck, they gotta ship too right?

FWIW, I have a family member in the shipping biz. - Don't know if he gets many runs going up and down the coast, but he does spend time in Portland (more family there) and dips into SoCal every now and then from what I hear.. I'll check and see if he gets much for W coast runs and if he might be able to squeeze an extra pallet on. (Most of what he gets from Portland are quick dashes to Maryland though..)

Yeah buddy, free shipping for me! :P

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: