• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bubbletip1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opps forgot the picks......be right back

Attachments

• hoodbothsmall.jpg
    hoodbothsmall.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 934
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you did a bang up job building that hood. :D I really like how you can open the front or the top. That'll make working in the tank a breeze.

Louey

bubbletip1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback!
I wanted to insure I had easy access for feeding as well as bulb replacement. The hood itself on weighs about 15 lbs! I am happy with the out come.
:D

johndawg

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job! I'm in the process of designing a hood for my 75 gallon. I like the way you did the top and the front. I've seen the front with side opening doors, but not like your idea. I like it! What kind of hardware did you use? What keeps the top and front from slamming closed? Thanks!
John

bubbletip1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I studied a lot of DIY project and took the best of all that I saw to come up with this design.

For the Lid Hardware I used safety "trunk supports", like the kind you would find in a kids toy box (you can see it on the left side of the lid on the first and third photo). I got it at Home Depot for about $5. What is nice about this is it has a set screw that lets you keep the tension as you like. So you can have the lid be as stiff or loose depending on what you speed of closure you like. It’s hard to see in the second photo but I used a “piano hinge” on the top of the lid to give me the most strength for the added weight of the lights when the lid is open.

On a 75 I would recommend one trunk support on each side. My hood is only for a 29 so one works out fine for me. IMO use all solid brass or stainless steel hardware to cut down any risk of corrosion form the salt creep.

Best of luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lumber did you use for the canopy? The finish is nice!

However, I'd use stainless only for the hardware. Brass can contaminate the tank with copper.

B

bubbletip1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1x pine for the internal supports. The box itself is ½” birch veneer plywood with some trim on the outside edge of the lid (for finger hold and looks).

Good point on the brass. The only thing within the hood that is brass is the lid support. I’ll have to keep my open for a stainless model.
Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: