• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a roll of mylar sheeting for very cheap. It is very reflective but states that it reflects heat. What do you guys think?

I think this stuff would be soo much easier to work with and I could save some cashola from not having to buy reflectors...

-puff

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will melt if you put them to close to heat. Unless you want to spend hundred of dollar on a little piece of reflector (3" X 3" square), pretty much everything that reflect visible light will reflect heat to some degree.

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was gonna use it with my current 250watt 12,000k sunburst setup on a 55 gallon reef or with a 90 gallon system I'm setting up that I was planning on using x2 250 watt lighting kits.

Looking like it might be a bad idea. Any more input guys?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Mylar with NO fluoros. It eventually does degrade, just so you know. It may be a decent temporary solution (I know good reflectors - especially those for salt apps - are expensive).

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
420puff":3l67lpvn said:
Was gonna use it with my current 250watt 12,000k sunburst setup on a 55 gallon reef or with a 90 gallon system I'm setting up that I was planning on using x2 250 watt lighting kits.

Looking like it might be a bad idea. Any more input guys?

It will melt and IMO is a Bad Idea (tm). ;) :P I'd say you could probably do it with VHO's or NO's in a well ventilated hood but that's it.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where did you dig up that mylar 420puff??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

This may sound bad, but what about making a reflector out of aluminum foil and some non flamable material as the frame?

ddold

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note, and not really a replacement for a proper reflector, I use heat shielding designed for motorcycles to cover anything inside the hood that I'd like to avoid having singed. It's a little wrinkly to provide a really solid reflection, but its got about the same reflective qualities as aluminum foil, sticks to anything, and can resist burning through even when pressed up against the exhaust pipe of a race motorcycle.

I remembered it from the racing days when I was building the hood for our 10 gallon and it worked well. It's a nice bit of added light reflection within the hood. The only prohibitive factors are finding it, and the cost as it can be a bit pricey if you don't order big chunks at a time.

Dave

Quigonsean

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
420, I'm taking break right now from building a 2x175 m/h setup. I got it all free including the bulbs which are 12,000k Sunburst. How blue are they I dig blue, what you think of them? Could ya send me a pic of your setup illuminated with them? If so send it to [email protected]

Thanks,
Sean
Hey me broke I'm using aluminum foil to line the canopy. I do havea 23" be 6 inch curved reflector I'm cutting in half to go under the M/H bulbs but the 4 PC's get foil
Not working sux

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the 12,000k sunburts! I also have 2x 65watt pc's with ultra actinic bulbs. These bulbs are REAL blue and you dont even have to use actinics unless you want to.

I can try and take some pics of the lighting no guarentee on how good the pic will turn out though,

Only down side to these bulbs are that they seem tu burn out early :wink:

Quigonsean

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you man. I really appriciate it. Glad to hear they are nice and blue. I only have 50/50 PC's at the moment so I'll be using them with the Sunburst. Glad to hear someone has good experience with'em everyone seems to complain. Its my understanding they may taske a little extra umphhhh to fire properly, and I think if that is so it may be the reason people have trouble with'em. How long do they seem to last you? I do thank you for the info. I had 2 pc's and 2 NO's till I got luckey and met this guy in our local assc. that was giving away his stuff gettin outta the hobby. That was great for my broke outta work butt.

Thank You,
Sean

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You def scored because I spent over 300 bucks including the actinics!

Why do most people complain about the sunbursts?

The first 250watt bulb only lasted 3 months 8O Aquaticlight.com is awesome though, they replaced the bulb no questions asked and didn't even charge me a pro-rate for the 3 monthes of use.

The second bulb I have is now on 7 monthes of use so far, much better! I will try and take pics of my lighting setup for you tonight.

Quigonsean

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Man it's greatly appriciated. I hope to have it up in 2 days. Our local club met at a LFS for frag fest2 tonight and I got two Acos But I don't remember the name. A freind gave me a Pasvona frag, and a Green Slimer colony for $15 bucks so I need the light. Plus two weeks ago I got another misc sps frag and a Pink Tip Birds Nest frag. So I really need to get off my butt and finish building this thing.

Thanks,
Sean

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pics of my setup but unfortunately a friend of mine lost my photoshop cd and now I can't resize it to fit on the forum. Any other way to resize these bad boys? If not pm me your email addy and I will email to you....

LilBugger225

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this will help or not but for a reflector I used metal flashing for roofs. I got a roll for very cheap at home depot. It doesn't seem to hold any heat and doesn't rust etc. I just covered the whole inside of my canopy with it.

LB 8)

LilBugger225

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a pic of it lit up with room lights out. It reflects pretty well, maybe not as much as spider light reflectors but it does the job better than painting the inside of the canopy or something like that

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,827

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: