• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm playing with the idea of a large outdoor tank again and talking to Acyrlics about it. Right now, the major hang-up is the stand .... I'm looking for a strong steel frame and need a reliable steel fabricator in the LA/So Cal area. I know this is a pretty out-there question, but anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check the phone book for some welding shops in your area. As long as you give them your dimensions and how much the stand will have to support, they should be able to weld you up something no problem.

At one time I was looking at welding 1"x1" box iron for a stand for my 80 gal but that was way overkill and I never got around to making the stand. 1"x2" box iron would more than likely be more than adequate for what you're doing provided they brace it every couple feet.

One other thing to consider is how you're going to be finishing your metal stand. You can either go w/ standard paint or powdercoat. I know all the stands that JT had Bishop make were powdercoated and in general powdercoat is going to hold up much better than paint over the long haul. The big thing is making sure they get enough powder on there to seal it up 100% as any pinholes could eventually lead to rusting of that area.

Shane

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto what liquid said.

At one point, I was about to get a 4X8 stand like those they used in Costco. They can powder-coat it for me for about $100 to 250, and steel frame itself is about the same price range.

One of them is in SFV area, and the other is in City of Commerce.... I never went thru it with either of them, so I don't really know how good is the product when finished.

tenshi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have an answer for you, since my step-brother's iron shop is in San Diego 8) and if you don't mind going there to pick it up or paying a little extra to have it delivered. He could pretty much make anything for you, if you give him the specs. You would actually talk to my brother and not my step-brother since he gives out the estimates for this type of work. They do all kinds of crazy stuff there from custom industrial stuff to custom blacksmithed stuff like balconies, handrails and furniture for the people in La Jolla. If your interested let me know and I'll get you their number. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, if you like, I can speak with my "across-the-street-neighbor" (as my youngest son used to call them) who's a general contractor. I think it's better to go with word of mouth than just through the phone book, and I can also assure you that, unless you have the Business Yellow Pages, out here you're not going to find all the connections that are really available.

Sorry, I no longer have a Business Yellow Pages.

tenshi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with going with a general contractor is that the contractor is going to get it from an iron/welding shop like my brother's, that is usually a sub-contractor, and add a lot extra for him. Cut out as many middle men as possible and you pay less. And Seamaiden is right, with this kinda of stuff you want to go with word of mouth. There's alot of people out there saying they know what there doing and they know squat. You know on the whole painting thing, I remember that when my dad owned the shop and I use to help him, anything that was eventually going to end up near the beach we would get it galvanized and then painted with marine primer and paint. That way he could guarantee the paint for a few years.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: