• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

TOMMY323

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a DIY pendant for 250W Metal, I want to use 2x250W each with its own pendant. I have a lot of Balsa wood and want to use it as making a pendant. My reason is its light weight, but i worry about heat that will affect the long-term use like glue or epoxy or the wood itself.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO balsa wood will fall apart as it's a very soft wood. You could go w/ pine or something like that tho depending on your reflector design...

Shane

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, Balsa is a Hardwood,,, but yes, it's very soft and probably innapropriate strength-wise as a halide canopy.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liquid said it is a very soft wood, not it is a soft wood. Yes, balsa is a hardwood, but that only means that it does not keep its leaves during winter like pine and redwood. This has nothing to do with the strenght of the material as the description "hardwood" implies.

Anyway, balsa is not easy to work with, and it is not recommanded for structural woodware like chair, desk, and shelf. It is not cheap either, and if you want light weigth, you can use other materials.

gabemerrill

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could use it... but I'd suggest using fiberglass to reinforce it. One or two layers of thin glass should do the trick, I mean it works for airplanes, would work for the hood, but you probably want to use something harder for mounting points for the lights and hinges. But at that point you might as well buy some cheap pine. just my $.02

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean other than it being soft i see a fire hazard. balsa would probally work good for making a fireball of death pendent.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think unless it was sealed *really* well, it would also tend to warp being that near to a water souce....

Of course that's just my thought...not actual experience...

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual, I think it would work quite well.

Since balsa has wide variations in weight and strength you may want to be selective on the pieces you choose or make a frame work of spruce. I would think the spruce frame work would take care of the primary problems of construction.

Of course, seal it well like any wood you might use around water.

If fire is an issue your design needs to be rethought. All wood tends towards a lower ignition point when exposed to heat. Balsa's insulation properties should not be used to justify not keeping sufficent gap between the reflector and wood.

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just gonna come out and say it. if you make a pendent for a FLAMING hot metal halide light out of balsa wood. YOU ARE SMOKING CRACK!

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering that there are UL listed paper and wood light fixture available, the concept is not untested.

The real questions are: What size of bulb (250W)? What type of design(pendant)? Can the wood be protected so it never see more than ~150 deg. F?

Well, that is quite the question. Two approaches -- distance and shielding.
One paper pendant that is avalable for a 300 watt bulb is ~ 3 ft in dia -- I would assume that is not what TOMMY323 had in mind. So, the other option is using heat shielding or using a metal reflector inside of a decorative wood cover. The only examples I have seen recently are plastic and metal design. but the concept is the same. "Fine Homebuilding" had an article in issue 52 (mid 1989) that may be helpful.

mike35

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the average Running temp of a MH 250 w bulb :?:

books start to burn at 451 deg F

some soft woods start to burn at 300 deg F

mike35

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the average Running temp of a MH 250 w bulb :?:

books start to burn at 451 deg F

some soft woods start to burn at 300 deg F

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 250 might be usable, but anything higher is gonna get too hot, there are so many better materials you could use than balsa....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: