• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I was looking at the self-piercing saddle valve (and drain saddle) in all the usual catalogs (for copper) but that didn't seem quite right for PVC.. (Imagining PVC cracking and a flooded basement..)

Are there standard PVC fittings to do this? (Home Depots a coupla hrs away...)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen one, but you could cut the pipe, put in a T, a small piece of pipe, a threaded end cap and a JG fitting on the end, then run your RO tube to your unit. I'd add a ball valve on the T as well.
All for about $15 at HD. (maybe more with the valve.)

B

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPSV only works for metal pipe. Don't use it on plastic.

There are PVC repair kit that let you add a Tee fitting. As Bingo suggested, you can put a JG ball valve (male on one end, 1/4 quick disconnect on the other.) on the tee to make it easier for you when you add the RO/DI. The ballvalve is $5, the T adoptor is about $5, so you are looking at around $10.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, thats what I was hoping for but I've never seen a reducer that goes down to be able to fit the JG fittings.. - That is something standard though huh?

Any ideas for plumbing the waste side into the 3" drain line PVC? :D

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the waste side, you can drill a 1/4 to 3/8 inch hole on the pipe, and use a saddle adoptor (with some rubber gasket) to attach the brine output to the drain. It is best to drill the hole from the top of the pipe, so that if the gasket does not seal well, you don't end up with a constantly leaking mess. For health concern, try to implement an air gap if you can between the brine output and the waste pipe, but many people don't do that.

You can get 1/4in quick fit fitting with a 1/4 to 1/2 inch NPT (male) in HomeDepot. Standard issues.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: