• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I have a 72 AGA bowfront with a flimsy plastic canopy made by Oceanic.

I used 1X2s attached to the plastic canopy to hold my two 96 watt PCs and their reflector. I plan to cram two more 96 watt pcs under that canopy and I wonder if the weight of 4 48 inch long 1X2 pieces of wood, 4 96 watt PC bulbs and two reflectors will stress the tank at all. Since the wieght would be pushing down on the glass and I have seen tanks with heavy solid wood canopies, I'm not worrying, but I want a secong oppinion.

:?:

A

Anonymous

I do not see it being a problem. I have a canopy, some piping and 4 48" VHO's on my tank.

A

Anonymous

Shouldn't be a problem. IF you can distribute the weight over a greater area, you'll be doing yourself a favor.

B

down&dirty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a fully wooden hood, with 4 compact 55watt lights, moon lights, a motor to move my returns, and two auto top-off RO containers inside my hood. The auto-top-off containers are the same kind that you use for changing your oil so that I could have a low profile square container with plenty of room for me to pour in the RO water. I have had no problems with the added weight on the tank. My concern would be the plexi hood not warping with the added weight to the top section. You could try to reduce a small amount of the weight by just using your existing 1x2s as the lateral support and then building a simple cross brace that would hold you PC lights.

Attachments

• drawing1.jpg
    drawing1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 401

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: