• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dgasmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty soon I will be tearing up my 360g (3/4" acrylic all around) tank and I want to drill it for close loops. The dimensions of the tank are 96"x36"x24". The tank's design is that of a room divider, so only one of the short ends sits agains a wall. The overflow box is external and is on the short end that sits against the wall. That side is 36W"x24"T. The overflow sits at the top and it measures 17.5"Wx14"T. Next to the overflow towards the top are two 1" bulkheads drilled 4" from the top and 4" from the overflow. They are the current returns.

What I want to do is drill two holes for 2" bulkheads as seen in the attached picture (larger ones at the bottom sides) and two more for 1.5" bulkheads. My question is: is there enough room there to make all those holes without compromising the integrity of the tank?

Attachments

• tank's scheme.jpg
    tank's scheme.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 922
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank full now? IF not why not drill the bottom and get rid of the external overflow? Then it will give you more room to drill the holes you want.

Are all 4 holes going to be returns? could you T them off inside the tank, and just use 2 holes?

B

dgasmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":316ocg3d said:
Is the tank full now? IF not why not drill the bottom and get rid of the external overflow? Then it will give you more room to drill the holes you want.

Are all 4 holes going to be returns? could you T them off inside the tank, and just use 2 holes?

B

The tank is full now. It will be drilled when I move and so will be empty then.

The external overflow is part of the tank itself, not a hang on unit. It is the same as any overflow like in Oceanic or AGA tank, but on the outside instead. In other words, can't get rid of it and actually don't want to either.

The holes are for CLOSE LOOPS. The 2 larger ones are for the intakes to 2 pumps that will drain back via the top of the tank. The other smaller one is for an intake for a pump and the other is the return back to the tank inside. The two 2" ones will have a 5800 gph pump each. The 1.5" one will ahve a 3000 gph pump in it.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dimaggio":31ff8f2e said:
My question is: is there enough room there to make all those holes without compromising the integrity of the tank?
plenty, esp considering this end is only 24" h and made of 3/4" - you should be just fine.

HTH,
James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: