• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking a lot about projects that require me to do clean, straight cuts, and I think a table saw fits the bill for both acrylic and wood (correct me if I'm wrong please ;)) Any recommendations? I don't want to spend too much and want something portable, but of course, I want quality as well.

ddold

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shopping for the same thing, and I am most likely going to go with a Makiti. All of the other items I have from them are good quality, and they make several different levels of table saw.

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James have some good advices a few months back on router table and saw, if I remember correctly. You can use the same setup for both wood and plastic, but you will need different blade and speed (rpm) and feed rate for different materials.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thread is excellent.

I bought a $230 3HP Craftsman table saw and it is okay. The problem with smaller saws is that the work area is small. Imagine trying to get your wife to help you guide a 4' X 8' sheet of 3/4" acrylic (or heavy wood)though a table saw that is less than half that size. The heavier the stock, the more difficult it becomes. I bolted 2X4's to the floor to keep the saw from sliding. You could do that and build work tables around the saw so that a helper is not needed.

As for routers, I bought a Ryobi router and table table at HD for like $89. I have no complaints with that router.

Buy the tools Len. You'll love building stuff! :D

Louey

down&dirty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do tons of building for both aquariums and many other projects that I dream up. I have the Ryobi router and a table and that is a great combo for those of us that aren't professional construction workers. It isn't very good when working with hardwoods, but most of this is the bits. I can't stress enough to get good bits with bearings on the ends to keep from burning into the wood you are using. As for tablesaws, which this thread is about, I would stay away from anything under $100. I have used most of these, and as long as you are only cutting wood or plastics that are small enough for you to handle then they should be stable enough. Another problem is that most of these saws require a lot of fine tuning to actually get a square cut. If you want something cheap to do the job, build a table to mount your circular saw onto. I have a homemade tablesaw that is built out of MDF and has a 2ftx4ft base so that I can cut just about anything I want. It is just as true as the cheap saws and I only had to pay $13 for the MDF. IF you really want a good table saw I would go ahead and fork out some cash and get one of the larger saws with an expandable base. HomeDepot and Lowes both have some good larger saws for a good price. Make sure to mess with the rip fence to make sure that it is stable, square, and will last in your garage. I recommend the ones that have the tubular rails that they slide on. I have always gotten great cuts on these saws. Once again, the blade makes a big difference. Make sure to change often and to use the correct tooth arrangement for what you are cutting. I would also recommend getting a feather board, a push stick, and looking onto some woodworking message boards to get a more expert view. Some of those people are more dedicated to their hobby than us. Good luck in your search.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3jqjkid0 said:
I've been thinking a lot about projects that require me to do clean, straight cuts, and I think a table saw fits the bill for both acrylic and wood (correct me if I'm wrong please ;)) Any recommendations? I don't want to spend too much and want something portable, but of course, I want quality as well.
Hi Len :)
Coupla questions for ya:
What is the average size piece to be cut?
What is the largest, heaviest, thickest, that you foresee cutting?
..so ya know 1" acrylic weighs approx 6lbs per sq ft
Does it *have* to be portable? and to what degree?

Reasons being:
The larger pieces being cut require larger platform if nothing else so you don't injure yourself leveraging the pcs around
If you plan on cutting heavy pcs, heavy saws are good for stability. Imagine cutting a 200lb sheet on a 100lb saw and you get what I mean.
Thicker materials require more power to safely and effectively cut.
Obviously the bigger, heavier, more powerful you go, the less portable it is. Each of my saws weigh ~500lbs but are very portable if ya have a forklift :P

Do you have a particular price range in mind?

HTH,
James

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For portable table saws, I've been impressed with the Rigid and Dewalt.
Make sure you get a good rip fence and don't skimp on the blade.

Mitch

Budes45

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Rigid from HD. Cast iron top very heavy. If you are planning any large DIY buy a full size saw. You will pay more but it will last you a lifetime. My dad bought a Craftsman about 25 years ago (funny it's build almost exactly like the one I just bought with some minor upgrades to the new on) and he still uses it and works great.

Hope this helps.

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been that low cost table saws are ok if you can spend 20 minute setting up for each cut. The greatest benefit I have found with higher quality tools is that setup is easier and that consistence between cuts improves.

That said I stopped buying Craftsman tools because I found the setup was harder and too inconsistent. I like Porter Cable products and find them to be a better value than Dewalt.

If you are looking at saws, at least find out how easy it is to adjust the fence. If you can't consistently adjust the fence square to the blade, don't buy the saw.

Yam

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the "Tool Corral" at Amazon.com. I bought all my tools there. People give in depth reviews of why one is better then the other. I based my decision on the popularity and price. For this reason, I chose the Bosch w/free stand. I love it. The table extends out for large pieces of ply, and the fence is absolutely accurate. It is a portable saw, so larger pieces are tougher without two people. Check it out. They have free shipping (even on 60lbs + table saw), and we don't have to pay taxes.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/br ... 89-9432124

Danny

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Sorry for the delayed response; I was away for the weekend and am still doing catch-up work here.

I'm currently looking at a cheap Ryobi from home depot for $99 (on sale). I'll look into the Rigid, Porter Cable, and Dewalt as well. I really don't want to spend a whole lot if I don't have to because I'm not a huge DIY'er (all thumbs :P). It would just be nice to have one around the place to build small containers and other mini-projects.

It has to be portable because I have no place ot permantly store it. It's really not going to be used for mass fabrication or cutting any large pieces. I'd say the thickest acrylic I'm going to cut is 1/4" wall and the thickest wood will be 3/4".

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, now I'm looking at a Delta unit for about $200. I guess my desired budget is about $200. Size is more of an issue to me, but I will need to cut pieces bigger then 12x12" (which the fences of the smaller/cheaper units like Ryobi won't do).

hdtran

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunt the want ads & get a used Shopsmith... (We're talking $500-$800 now). Shopsmiths are a bit quirky (you raise or lower the table, not the blade; unless you buy an adapter, they take 1.25" arbor blades, not the regular .625", etc.), but the table is relatively huge compared to contractor saws; the fence is very good compared to contractor saws; and you can dial the speed. If you're going to be cutting acrylic, you want to dial the speed down, so as not to melt the acrylic.

1937 Waco

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

As a person that does a lot of wood cutting, I can recommend the Delta contractors 10" table saw. They run very smooth, can be put on a portable stand, last a life time, and have a good resale value. I can repeatably get cuts to 1/32. If you are looking at a used saw, make sure to check the blade for side to side wear. If there is side to side play, you will get a vibration. Your cuts are only as good as your saw. Try to buy the best and you will not be sorry. Second, get a good blade which may cost $100. Generally speaking, the more teeth, the cleaner the cut. Finally, don't cut your fingers off. Most people that have a table saw (me included) remove the blade guard. Then they use a push stick for small cuts and litterly forget to keep their hand high above the blade.

I hope this helps, Bob

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Delta table saw for 10 years and the thing is still going strong!! Its not all that small though, and definitly not portable. My buddy uses a Dewalt portable on his job sites, and simply loves it.

I'm with Bob, running no guards at all. I did some work in Eugene, OR. a several years back and they required us to us a blade guard AND an anti-kick back device. Talk about getting in your way, and messing cuts up. Now I run it "nude".

sambo1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Budes45. Buy a GOOD tablesaw first timie. I have a Craftsman and it's the only tool in my shop I regret not having spent more on! I also was looking at the Rigid at Home Depot, or something comparable. Go big the first time. FIgure on spending $600 or so and I personally dont think you'll regret it in the long run. IMO.

ErikS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(all thumbs )
That's better not be true or you'll be thumbless w/ a tablesaw :D

Seriously, look at the Ryobi BT3x00. Probably the best "weekend warrior" table saw made. Extremely accurate cuts, sliding miter table, good dust collection, and an excellent blade. It's more than the "el-cheapo" types, but it also does a LOT more. Built in router table (fence w/ an accessory kit). Check the info here - http://www.bt3central.com/

It's not designed for professional duty or hauling in the back of a truck but it's an excellent piece of equipment for the $$$$.

(spoken by someone who wasted $150 on an el-cheapo benchtop model)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: