• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ruck'n'reefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to remove a pvc reducer fitting from an existing cemented pumbing setup (actually a skimmer). Has anyone tried, or does anyone know if this can be done?

If so, any thoughts on how to do this. It is a 2"-1 1/2" reducer.

The main reason for this is that I have an unused 2" ball valve I would like to use and not have to buy a 1 1/2 valve.

Thanx

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your last statement confused me... when you say "unused," do you mean it is cemented (used), but not in service, instead of new (usused?).

If that's the case, it can be done, but AFAIK, there is no easy way in your case. I said this because there are "Fitting Saver" (tm) that you can use to drill out cemented PVC fitting, but they are only available for pipe up to 1 inch.

Your best bet is to use a router to cut out a round hole in the fitting, or for a bigger overkill, use a milling machine :?

hdtran

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solvent-cementing PVC is pretty much a permanent operation. Short of machining out the fitting, as Tangir1 has suggested, you can't remove anything.

If you can live with the flow losses, you could cement a 1 1/2" to 2" adapter at the end of your 1 1/2" outlet (e.g. 2" to 1.5 existing, to new 1.5 to 2", to 2" ball valve...) A 1.5 to 2" adapter may be cheaper than a 1.5" ball valve.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed fittings that were glued before

you need an alway saw, some chisels, a ton of patience and a lot of elbow grease

It sucked but I got to reuse a 25 dollar true union ball valve

Bryan

Oh, btw the process always destroys one of the two fittings

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, if you are have enough patience, I will post some pics about how I used the "fitting saver" to saverage 8 bulkheads. They are one inch bulkhead, and as I mentioned already, anything more than one inch is not going to be easy. Give me two or three weeks for the pics.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, send knucklehead your fitting and ask him to send you $40 for deposite. When he is done with it and send you back your fitting, send him back his deposite if you are happy with his work. I don't speak for him, but I am sure knucklehead will do this for anybody free of charge ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO, I wouldn't

Its not a fun thing, I did because it was late at night and I was mad because I had glued it up wrong

It can be done though

I recognize you tan, its the bye -ck- in your sig

Bryan

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, how about this:

rambit01.gif

It is called Rambit, but I never used this gadget before... suppose to come in size up to 4 inch, so maybe an option....

Plumbing World

knucklehead, obviously I am not trying very hard to hide from everybody... ;)

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC saver in action...

It is not as good as new after you remove the broken pipe. The PVC saver will make a slightly larger hole than before, making it more difficult to make a good joint. You also need a strong drill to drill the old pipe out.

Attachments

• dscn6827.jpg
    dscn6827.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 613
  • dscn6823.jpg
    dscn6823.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 612
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now

If I was trying to get a piece of straight pvc out of a bulkhead, I would chuck it up in my lathe, and cut it out. PVC turns quite nicely on a metal lathe

:lol:

don't laugh, we turn pvc on our lathe at work all the time

Bryan

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knucklehead":3ge7zrw0 said:

you need an alway saw, some chisels, a ton of patience and a lot of elbow grease

Hey, knucklehead, if you are so good in your lathe, how do you managed to bust one of the fittings everytime :P ;)

Sorry about that, but yeah, a lathe will work. But not everyone have access to a lathe or milling machine, you know.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangir1":3tfdgar7 said:
knucklehead":3tfdgar7 said:

Hey, knucklehead, if you are so good in your lathe, how do you managed to bust one of the fittings everytime :P ;)

Sorry about that, but yeah, a lathe will work. But not everyone have access to a lathe or milling machine, you know.

duh-- the process always destroys one of the two fittings (the two that are glued together and that you are trying to get apart)

It doesn't quite work when you have an elbow, a short piece of pipe, a valve, an adaptor, and a true union ball valve all glued together

That makes it quite hard to chuck up ya know :lol:

Bryan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: