• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

gmckinley

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pulled a couple of DIY designs off of this site and I am about to begin construction of a skimmer. Are there any concerns with using regular PVC glue for project? Will it leach polutants into the water? Also, do I need to clean the PVC in any particular way to remove polutants before I use it in my system? Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no advanced hobbyist or DIY'er, but I've used the typical two-part Oatley cleaner/cement products a few times without any apparent adverse effects on a running system...

Just use the cleaner around the ends you're cementing together, apply the glue & cement.

In fairness though, I do let the assembled pieces sit for at least 24 if not 48 hours before putting them to use..

Hope that helps,

Norm

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the PVC got dirt inside, I usually wipe it clean with brush before assembe them together. Regular PVC cement and primer are fine for potable water, so they are fine for reef tank. Make sure you let the solvent evaporate completely (takes a day or two) before water test it.

Oh, we do have a DIY forum in RDO. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: