• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

EB847

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JUST RETROFITTED A 150W (DOUBLE ENDED) MH TO MY HOOD. IT CAME WITH A 3/16 PIECE OF TEMPERED THAT I CANNOT FIT. I AM REPLACING WITH A 1/8 PIECE OF TEMPERED. IS THAT OK? BETTER BE BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE! ALSO, IS IT EASY TO ADD A COMPUTER FAN WIRING WISE? HOW DO YOU DO IT? JUST TAP INTO THE WIRES?

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thinner glass should be fine.

As for the fan, keep in mind that you can't tap into the wire from the ballast. The ballast is driving the bulb at different voltage and ampere, and will be dangerous to tap into it. You either get a 12DC powersupply and run the wires to the fan in the hood (prefered), or you run straight 110VAC from your electric outlet to your fan if it is using house voltage.

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is easier to have separate line to the fan. Again, use low-voltage DC fan if possible.

Do you have any reason to tap it with the MH/PC ? Running out of outlet???

EB847

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I CAN RUN A SEPERATE POWER CORD BUT WOULD PREFER NOT TO. I HAVE ONE EMPTY SWITCH IN THERE NOW. I WOULD LIKE TO PUT POWER TO IT AND THEN TO THE FAN SO IT IS SWITCHABLE. ...I COULD ALSO BYPASS THE SWITCH. WHY SHOULD I NOT USE A 110V FAN?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: