• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess so, but it's tough to be sure without knowing what ballast is in that setup and what lamp you're planning on running. Not all MH ballasts fire all MH lamps reliably.

You might get better feedback in the General Discussion or DIY forums with this one. I'm going to move this thread to the DIY forum and leave a copy here as well...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris is right. You need to know what lamps the ballast would fire and what type lamp you want for your tank. I think the odds are fairly good that it would work, but I wouldn't lay down the chips without making a phone call to find out what kind of lamps the ballast will drive and what kind of socket the fixture comes with.

It does look like a pretty sweet fixture.

Louey

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks promising. I will call the seller and as for ANSI designation of the ballast. The description says the reflector is "adjustable"... interesting....

EricB

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400w seems rather bright for a 50 gal - have you tried feeding your corals instead. It will work out cheaper.

Any electrical wholesaler should be able to put you in touch with a ballast and starter manufacturer, such as Tridonic, and their technical department can answer any queries regarding lamp compatibility.

At the end of the day you have to decide which is more important to you - initial price or level of service and after sales back up. I know which I value the most.

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to RDO, EricB.

I agree with the level of service to some extent. However, I usually weight the initial price with service and make the decision. If there is not much difference between the price, I usually go with the one with better service.

PeeJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 watts too bright for a 50 gallon? I think itd be a pretty sweet setup on a 50. Plus thats a great deal!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sun system slights are awesome. I've used them horticulturaly (indoor garden 8 during my earlier years), and we have them up at the store over everyone of our reefs. Even over our pond as a matter of fact. Good people and there stuff kicks butt. The adjustable reflector means it will fit any size bulb you stick in there, and it allows for you to play with the focusing of the light you want whether it be a narrow patch-o-light or wide swath. up/down/forwards/backwards.

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing in this hobby isn't expensive, just that some companies decide to put a 250% markup on it.

(Well, it is not entirely true, but anyway..)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: