• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

blackthunda77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this over flow and this return pump that im trying to use in my diy 10 gal sump. the problem i am having is that #1 it seems that the pump is pumping out water faster than my overflow and put in into the sump, so my tank is over flowing and and my sump will run dry in a matter of 10-20 sec. also once i unplug the pump the return line keeps draining water back iknto the sump making that over flow, same goes for the overflow, itll keep sucking out water until it gets lower than the grooves in the overflor box. the pump i got is from someone and its the mag drive 7 i think its rated at 700gph. the overflow i got from him is only a single. can the pump be too stroong for the overflow and how can i get the return lines and the overflow to stop sucking water once the pump is off in case of a power outage, and when the wers out how can i keep the lines primed to get it to start back up on its own. someone pleae help. im gettin frustrated.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But a ball valve on the return pump..make sure you put it on the exit side of the pump ie: where the water is actually going back into the tank.
Drill a small hole in your return pipe when the pump cuts off the return line will start sucking air and cut off the flow.Maybe about a half inch below the water line.Not much you can do about the overflow box it is going to drain until it has no more water going into the box.The trick is to only put enough water in the sump that can drain back into the sump without overflowing and the same about the pump overfilling the tank.It is something you have to fiddle with to get right.A 10 gallon sump i rather small I would go with something a little larger if you can,you can always use those rubbermaid totes they make cool sumps.
HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: