• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NYSharkLady

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I have 2 2ft PCs that I want to put on my new 90gal, but I also got the canopy top for the tank and they won't fit under the canopy. What am I to do?!?!?!
I have them from my old 55 gal and I didn't want to have to buy all new lights, just replace the bulbs and be on my merry way.
Can anyone make any suggestions PLEASE!?!?

Thanks!!

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more information please.

What is the length of the 90 gal? Are the lights too long? Too high? Are the lights designed to sit on the tank or could they sit on a glass plate set over the tank.

It is a little hard to understand the nature of the problem.

I ran into a similar problem because my CSL PC were 1/2" longer than my tank. While it might have been possible to remove everything and mount it in the hood, I chose not to use that hood.

NYSharkLady

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey seagull:

They are 2 2ft CSL PCs, and they are just about 1/2 an inch too long for the top of the tank. (90gal 40"x18"x24") The height is fine. It sounds like you had the same problem as me.

What did you do about it? Just get a new lighting system?

Thanks!

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem was a 72" tank and 72 1/2" light.

My wife "solved" the problem by deciding to use the tank as a room divider and forced me to make a whole new stand.

I think your problem and be solved by less drastic means.

Since the CSL lights need to have the end clear for venting the heat one approach is to place them side by side and offset to cover the length.

You will not be able to use the legs since they are much wider than the ~7 1/2" body of the light. Support the lights on inverted acrylic "T" set on the front and back of the aquarium. If you don't like the Acrylic "T'" idea. Home Depot sells plastic straping. It could be used to strap the lights to the underside of the hood. It will still force you to place them side by side and offset to fit under the hood.

The other options is to disassemble the lights and mount them under hood. It might enable you place them end to end. But, this will expose the bulbs, wiring and reflector to the water and salt.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: