• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

chrishet

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 30gal Oceanic Cube today and they will be drilling the holes for my return (2) and overflow (1). I will be building my own overflow box. This is my first sump design so pardon my simple questions.

The return will be driven by a Mag 5 or Mag 7 and will go through a SQWD which will split the return into 2 pipes. Is this design ok or should I make the SQWD a closed loop system?

My other questions is, what size bulheads should I use (and have them cut holes for)? The LFS recommended a 1" bulkhead for the overflow and 1/2" for the return. I noticed that the SQWD uses 3/4" pipe, will this be a problem?

Any guru thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go with 1 out and 3/4 in. Also, you need to buy or order your bulkheads before. Different manufacturers make different sized bulkheads.- different drill sizes. Marine Depot lists the hole size with the bulkhead.

Also, go with at least a mag9 if you're running it through a scwd. I have a 20 I'm setting up with a scwd on the return, and I think it's WAY underpowered.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: