• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two quick questions about a DIY canopy:

1) I have some 80mm fans that look like computer fans that I want to
mount in the sides of the canopy. My question is how do you mount
those? I could route a square hole in the canopy such that the fan
fits in the hole. Which still does not answer how do I make it stay
there. The fan has the usual 4x2 holes in the four corners.

Another solution is to make the holes round and then mount the fans
completely in the canopy but I'm sure it would not look great. Any
advice is appreciated.

2) The second question is regarding the hinges: what hinges can I use
(and where to find them) that will resist the occasional saltwater
splash?

Thanks a lot,
Mihai

Kimo

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used your second solution for mounting the fans - Use a 4" hole saw to make a hole in the canopy, then drill 4 holes and use long brass bolts, washers and nuts to hole them on inside the canopy. It looks great from the outside, no problem! It's even better is you have a grill you can install on the outside of the canopy.

Regarding the hinges, I have used brass. Good stainless hinges may work for you as well.

Jamie

Kimo

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I never put it in the tank, just as hardware on the hood. It corrodes some, but not to the point of stuff flaking off, especially if you use good quality hardware. I have never had any problems, and I have been using it for 4 years.

YMMV tho...:)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mounted 4" fans inside, outside, on the ends, and on the top of the canopy. It didn't seem to make any difference.

FWIW, my current canopy is free hanging and completely open on the bottom. I have a 4" fan mounted in the top of the canopy adjacent to the end of each of my 4x 400w MH's. The 4 fans blow upwardly so as to draw the heat out from the inside of the canopy. Seems to work pretty well.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost, all the other advice on fans said to blow the air in the canopy, not outside, the reason being that the air in the canopy comes with humidity (and perhaps salt) and will shorten the lifespan of the fans...

Thanks for the help guys, I'll go with the inside mounting on the sides.

Mihai

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mihai":31y6hcp0 said:
Ghost, all the other advice on fans said to blow the air in the canopy, not outside, the reason being that the air in the canopy comes with humidity (and perhaps salt) and will shorten the lifespan of the fans...

Thanks for the help guys, I'll go with the inside mounting on the sides.

Mihai

This is probably true, at least to some extent. But pointing them upwardly keeps the heat away from the surface of the water. And I would rather replace my fans every couple of years then pay for the extra electricity to run my chiller non-stop.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use stainless steel bolts for my fans. I don't have to worry about the copper leaching out of brass. THey're only pennies more than brass.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: