• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for an alternate source for a 1" dia. 3 way / 2 position diverter valve and actuator mounting kit. I have a price from EPAC in Texas for $178, but the price seems a little high. I've seen a similar valve at US Plastics for $84 except it is a 3 way / 3 position, but they said the can't supply a 2 position valve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You confused me here with the position part... a regular ball valve is 2 way (one in, one out), while a 3 way valve has 3 openings, one in, two out. So what about the position part?

For an one inch 3 way valve for actuator, you will be looking at anywhere between $60-150, depends on the source and brand. The type that I use is Plast-O-matic, and it is slightly more than $100 retail.

HTH

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 way / 3 way has to do with number of positions. 3 position is on left - off - on right. The 2 position is on right - on left, no off position. Therefore no back pressure on the pump. I'm using a 3/4" chemtrol valve now but want to upgrade to 1" and I don't feel like dropping another $178 if I don't have too.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I went to the USP site, and see what you meant about the 3 position. It is related to the design of the "ball" (the hole configuration). Most likely, you are using the valve for wavemaking, right? The typical ball for such application is specify for a 3-hole ball, instead of a regular 2-hole ball. Most valve manufacture make both hole configurations, such as Plast-O-Matic... you just have to tell them when you order.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm acutaully using it for tide simulation in conjunction with two SCWD. The problem is the Chemtrol valve comes with 3 position ball standard and is special order for 2 position, $$$. If I can find a source to sell me just the ball I'll do the retrofit myself.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that we started to post around the same time... :D

>... The 2 way / 3 way has to do with number of positions...

he he... :D It can be pretty confusing if you don't watch the word.... for a 3 way ball valve, vertical configuration, there are two position with three holes ball, and three position with two holes ball. I know you know I know what you talking about. ;)

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again :D

Well, even if chemtrol give you the ball, you probably won't be able to retrofit it yourself. It really depends on the structure and design of the valve, but AFAIK, none of the common industrial valve allow you to retrofit. I am not familiar with ChemTrol, so maybe you can call their tech and ask rather or not the ball can be removed and reinstalled? Good luck.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, I thought I would never come across something like this if I don't talk about nuts and bolts... nut with threaded hole. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: