• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally there's a sticker on the bottom glass that says it's tempered if it is, but obviously yours doesn't have a sticker or you wouldn't be here...;)

Would you happen to know the manufacturer? Is it an old tank or fairly new?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...

With AGA tanks for example, usually the smaller (30 gallon and less), standard shaped tanks are not tempered, but some of the medium and larger tanks have tempered bottoms. Also, many of their "non-standard" dimension (ie. extra tall, hex, bowfront, etc.) tanks (of all sizes) have tempered bottoms.

You're right at that borderline size, and without the sticker, I don't know of a way to tell other than knowing the manufacturer and asking...

Anyway, it's unlikely that the sides/back/front are tempered so worst-case, you could try drilling the back instead of the bottom. Wear eye protection just in case.;)

Not sure if that helps, but FWIW...

DaisyPolyp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It absolutely does! I had it in my head that the sides were always tempered and that it was the bottom that was only sometimes tempered.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill it and see if it shatters...if it does, it's tempered....

(Ok, I know that's not really helpful but I have to do *something* at work to pass the time...)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cannot find a sticker, look for an etched mark. tempered glass manufacturers are required to mark the glass. (i work for a tempered/coated glass manufacturer in CA, and we laser etch our glass) Tempered glass cannot be easily cut, so it is generaly cut to size before the tempering process. So the etched mark should be there somewhere.

keethrax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChrisRD":8q376wtz said:
Hmmm...

With AGA tanks for example, usually the smaller (30 gallon and less), standard shaped tanks are not tempered, but some of the medium and larger tanks have tempered bottoms. Also, many of their "non-standard" dimension (ie. extra tall, hex, bowfront, etc.) tanks (of all sizes) have tempered bottoms.

OK, with that in mind, does the 20XH have a tempered bottom. I have no plans to drill mine anyhow, but it would be nice to know just in case.

There is an awful lot of water depth, so it would make sense, I just can't even find the model on the AGA web-page so I can't seem to find any info. The one at the store no longer has a label...

keethrax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChrisRD":3jyb3hxn said:
By the looks of the specs on AGA's website, I'd say no (scroll down).

http://www.all-glass.com/services/techinfo.shtml

It would probably be a good idea to call and ask just to verify that if you ever did decide to drill it...;)

Thanks. I had finally found it on the webpage, but where I found it didn't have the specs like that. I think I'll bookmark that handy page. Makes it easier to compare all teh different sizes in one place.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: