• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JustReefIt14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have this 55 gallon tank that has a crack in the glass of the bottom of the tank. i called my lfs and asked what i could do, i had planned on using sealant to seal the cracks but they told me that i would have to have the glass replaced. so then i called a glass repair place or whatever and asked about having some glass cut to place in the bottom of the tank and seal it that way. does anyone know what i can do? my neighbor was throwing the tank out and i said i could do something with this tank and not let a good thing go to waste. all advice appreciated. always in advance thanks!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, any glass tank under 100 gal is not worthwhile to repair, but perfect for a reptile tank or terrarium.

But if you must, find out rather the bottom panel is tampered, and with the dimension (this include thickness), as the glass shop to cut it to your specification. Gluing it with silicon can take some skill, and I will let others give you pointer in that regard. Water test it for a few days after the silicone is dried, and make sure it holds water before puting anything difficult to clean up in there.

JustReefIt14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well thats what my lfs said, turn it into a reptile tank. i really dont think that my mom is ready for that kind of addition to the family at the moment so i really want to turn it into a really nice tank. i mean it was going to be going to the trash and i saved it. ummm so do you really think that buying some glass and sealing it would be ok to be able to get the tank filled and up and running? im so ready to start my own little fo or fowlr tank.

RobinsonFam1

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would remove the bottom glass and put in new non-tempered glass. that way you can drill it if need be.
just use aquarium silicone or any other that does not have anysort of mold inhibitors that could leach into the tank water.

Shinken

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracks in glass are liable to ''run'' to the edges. so i would recomend replacing tank. You could cut a piece that would fit the internal diameter and silicone that to the bottom and silicone the edges. but that would invlove striping down the tank...

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest just buying a new tank. DeathCo :roll: has 55 gallon tanks for like 80 bucks.

By the time you get done getting a new piece of glass and siliconing it yourself, you could have your new tank up and cycling. :D

If you have a glass shop silicone it for you, it coould end up being just as expensive. You have to figure the actual cost of purchasing the tank is but a mere fraction of the total investment.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way, Ricky! You gotta be kidding me. I'd have that tank repaired in two days, and that's counting for the lazy guys at the glass shop. :P

That tank's still perfectly good. Look, I've done this probably hundreds of times, just make a "sandwich" of both pieces of glass and silicone to attach them. Make sure the silicone surrounds the whole crack (or cracks), and have a piece that's exactly the size of the broken piece. I like to put the new glass on top cuz I don't want algae and gunk seeping through, looks UGLY. Also, you MUST be sure to seal all the way around the edges. If the crack goes to the edge, then yeah, you might be better off pulling the broken and replacing, but I'm lazy when it comes to stuff that has no need for cosmetically perfect repairs.

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are defiantely braver than I am SeaMaiden!!! :D :D :D

But being that it is on the bottom, and the sight and sound of 55 gallons of saltwater on my carpet, I would still go with a replacement.

I like to sleep at night. :wink:

JustReefIt14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my main point and question in starting this topic was to find out if this option is possible. to me it looks so, i think ill take my hand at a couple of chances and hope for the best. if im going to through with this does anyone recommend any type of sillicone to get the job done? originally i had planned on doing what seamaiden said. since my tank is 48x12 ill purchase a piece of glass that would fit in the tank and have it cut in half, 25.60 is my estimated cost. as always thanks in advance.!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pure silicone, JRI. Make sure it has no bubbles in any bead you run.

Chris A H

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always buy a used 55. I just bought two used tanks drilled with overflows from a breeder who was retiring. 50 bucks a tank.

Chris

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: