• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

herpsandreefs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove some 1/2 inch long scratches in a 40 glass? They aren't too deep but I can feel them with my finger nail. Any help welcome

Chris

keethrax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
herpsandreefs":1897nh0h said:
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove some 1/2 inch long scratches in a 40 glass? They aren't too deep but I can feel them with my finger nail. Any help welcome

Chris

Inside or outside?

Already full/empty?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Osmium oxide, used by jewelery and telescope lense maker for grinding glasses. If you can feel the scratch, it will probably take you half a day of work to get it out. for a 40 gal tank, I will either live with it, or turn the tank around so that it is on the back side.

Bishop1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people using 0000 steel-wool.. never tried it myself. Scratches on the inside tend to disappear with water in the tank unless they're terrible. They just remind you to clean the glass more often.

On the outside... I never notice them.

mickey57

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....I have tried the stuff jewlers use with a wet sander. :roll: The tank is now a frag tank in my equitment room.I would live with it.I remember when a little scratch bothered the hell out of me.Now I can say thank God its not as bad as the tank that sat on the patio for a year,until I got over ruining the tank :lol: I tried everything on that glass.I have one tank out of 7 that has no scratches yer and ya know I can live with the little scratches after that experience :lol:
...............Mickey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wait for algae to fill in the scratch, and voila.. Dirty tank but no scratch! :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: