• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well After a little bit of trail and error. I got the Moon lights in my exisitng RedSea/Azoo lamp. And with no drilling, filing or even glue.

First, I started with two RadioShack #276-311 5mm Blue LEDs(5v, 30mA, 300mcd, 430nm) I used an old AC to DC wall plug transformer block ($8, 4.7v, 500mA) I had laying around. After the first night of trials one lamp burned out and one was about too. I tested the transformer and found out it was out puting 9.5v

So I made a run to Wal-mart and picked up a phillips varialbe transformer($9). Put it to the meter and found the set a 1.5v gave me 3.5v. So I switched to a different LED R.S. #276-316 ($8, 3.7v, 20mA, 2600mcd, 468nm). I wired them up in parallel with the quick disconnect that came with the transf.

So far it is looking really great and meters out good. My only dislike is the focus for the LEDs I might give them a quick pass with a fine sandpaper if I really can't put up with it.

So what do you think?

Attachments

• pico moon.jpg
    pico moon.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 752

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't need to..Running the Transformer at the lowest setting 1.5v lit them just perfectly. If I did it again I'd go with one LED and a resistor though. Two seems a bit much.

Since these pictures I have put just a little heat shrink tubing and finger nail polish over the sides and back to dim out the wasted light. Helped alot since this tank is in my bedroom.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: