• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Wildbug

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

I'm thinking of installing a home cooked PVC spray bar/circulation system which would include a long piece across the back/inside/top of the tank. How have folks successfully attached something like this? Where do I get the brackets/whatever to do this?

Thank you.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use PVC pipe/fitting to make hooks over the tank, and hand the spray bar on them. Or they can be made from acrylic. You can even use suction cups if you can get the right fitting, etc., Your imagination is the limit.

Wildbug

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had been thinking suction cup brackets, but who carries just a bracket that will hold, say, 1/2" CPVC?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used silicon to hold one in place. (only works if the tank is empty, though. You could put an extra T on each end and make built in brackets that hang the bar over the top of the tank.

B

Wildbug

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come up with a solution to my problem!

I ended up buying a length of 3/4" CPVC and some suction cups. I cut 1" lengths of the pipe, cut about a 1/2" section out lengthwise (think a C-shaped cross section), and drilled a notch in the back in which to insert the suction cup. The finished product snaps onto the spraybar perfectly.

I'll post pictures of the completed spraybar tomorrow (if I remember to take them tonight).

Wildbug

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[1] Brackets. Consist of 3/4" CPVC cut into 1" pieces, removing a section, and notching the back for the 1" suction cup (crafts store).

[2] Spraybar with brackets attached. Originally I was looking for a 3-way elbow for the corner, but I couldn't find it locally, so I went with the single elbow and a tee connector. This actually works out better as it gives enough room on the vertical section for a suction bracket.

[3] Powerhead. Maxi-Jet 900. A 600 was too powerful by itself for a 15 gallon aquarium; the sand blew all over. So, I designed the spraybar to distribute current in smaller amounts all around the tank using only one powerhead. The MJ900 seemed the best choice. I had to put those two elbows in after because the powerhead was too close to the back of the tank, and the spraybar was too low.

[4] Finished product. The CPVC is painted with satin black Krylon Fusion.

Wildbug

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pictures

Attachments

• spraybar-collage.jpg
    spraybar-collage.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,525

Wildbug

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it says above the CPVC was painted with Krylon Fusion satin black paint. The paint itself is supposed to bond with plastic, so I don't expect any problems with chipping or cracking (under normal use). So far, it looks great and works fine. It is much less conspicuous than the natural off-white color of CPVC!

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spiffy. If you get sick of suction cups, you could always zap strap the spray bar onto an algae magnet and mount 'er that way.

Wildbug

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I'm happy with the suction cups. They are on three axes and hold very well. In fact, after first testing placement, it was hard to get them off -- I'd pull one side off, then the other, but then the first side was stuck again.... it went on like this. :) And, since mounting it for use, I've also mounted the Maxi-Jet with the suction cup bracket that it came with; this cuts down on vibration and adds three more attachment points.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More importantly, where did you get the suction cups!?!?!!

I have been looking all over for those.

Wildbug

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cknowlto,

I found suction cups at Michael's -- a crafts store chain. I think there were 4-6 cups in a package. The suction cups come with metal hooks attached around the nub on the back but are removeable. I think they were around $2/package.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bless you sir! I have several projects in mind for those little puppies!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: