• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ddold

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished the stand for our 110 gallon tank, and it measures out to be level, but I wanted to be doubly sure and put a sheet of foam down beneath the tank to help it settle out any small imperfections. Is there any specific foam that works best, or just a nice solid sheet of 1/4" hard foam from the hardware store?

Dave

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Styrofoam is ideal but tends to be rather thick. I really don't need to look at an inch of foam when I'm looking at my tank. :)
If you can find 1/4" you're all set, but make sure it has a hard consistency like you mentioned. Even a thin sheet of rubber would work - something like the type that is used to line the bottom of a garage door.
I'd also considered buying some adhesive weatherstripping and just sticking it along the rim of the tank (I have a floating bottom AGA) but all the foam I've seen for that product is always much too mushy.

And, appropriately enough, I'm heading out the door right now to Home Depot to see what I can find for that very same purpose. :)
I'll repost back in a couple hours if I found anything new and groundbreaking.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would an isoform mat (like the foam rubber mats for camping/military issue) work?

ddold

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those interested, and near a Home Depot, they have convenient 2' x 4' sheets of styrofoam in 1/4" and 1/2". Worked out well for me ... the styrofoam squished pretty evenly around the tank as I put the water in.

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HD only had 1/2" and thicker when I went. :(
I ended up getting my dad to "borrow" a strip of rubber from work. It's about 1/4" thick and fairly soft - reminds me of a new, warm car tire.
I cut it into strips and contact cemented it into place on my stand so it's only slightly wider than the bottom rim of the tank. The monstrosity is another 1/4" closer to the ceiling, but it sank in rather nicely and the black rubber doesn't show up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: