• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mekinnik1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to build a 75 gal. 36"lx20"hx24"w, and would like to know if anyone knows where to buy cheap acrylic in the milwaukee area??

thank you

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check you local yellow page for plastic shop. Call different places, and compare the price. Make sure they are of the same grade, since acrylic of the same dimension often had very different price due to molecular weight (->strength). For aquarium, use the casted sheet.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to the above - ask specifically for either Polycast, Cyro Acrylite GP, or Plexi-glas G. These are the only three that are consistent enough quality-wise to be recommended for aquaria. They are all cell cast acrylic of high quality.

HTH,
James

NoLimit

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I undestand why you'd want the good cell-cast stuff for a large display tank, but is it necessary for a DIY sump? Since the sump's only gonna hold about 10-12 gallons of water, could I just go with 1/4" lucite?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is up to you. My sump holds 30 gal, but if the tank cracks, the water from the display will dump a total of 100gal onto the floor.

What is important is the water height of the sump, which translates to hydrostatic force. With extruded, it flex over time, and personally, I will not use it to construct a sump. Since the sump is do small, what difference does it makes for material cost?

A good engineer does not over-spec and use unnecessary material, but I feel the extra duty is worthwhile...

NoLimit

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I asked -- wasn't sure what the difference is between the two types.

I found a local place that will cut my pieces to order, but they only have the lucite in stock, and I'll have to buy a full sheet of the cast stuff (of which I only need half....)

Guess I'll just spend the extra 50 bucks. What's the best way to cut the stuff?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>...What's the best way to cut the stuff?

I use the acrylic scorer(basically a funny-looking razor blade that looks like an arrow). You use it to cut straight channel in the sheet, and when it is deep enough (1/3 of the way thru), you put the sheet on a table edge, line up the cut line, and snap it into two halves. Some plastic shop will cut it for you for like 50 cent per cut. Ohter people who do lots of work on acrylic have special blade for acrylic in a saw table or a router table.

>... buy a full sheet of the cast stuff (of which I only need half....)

Make two and sell the spare one... :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoLimit, I'm curious what your final costs run - if you don't mind...

Thanks!
Norm

NoLimit

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
---- I'm curious what your final costs run - if you don't mind...

No Problem -- I'll update with the finals, but I know this much now.

Full Sheet of cell-cast acrylic = ~$100
Weldon to bond it all together = ?? (haven't looked too much yet)
My time, effort, mistakes, learning = FREE

Hey, at least somethings come for free.... :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>... Full Sheet of cell-cast acrylic = ~$100

I don't remember how much they exactly goes for, but that is a bit steep for 1/4" 4X8... you may want to call around and see if you can get better deal elsewhere...

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For good quality cell cast acrylic (esp retail) $100 seems pretty fair IMO - only $3/ft. By good quality cast I mean names like Cyro, Polycast, Plexiglas. Acrylic has gone up ~15-20% this year alone and next month promises another 11% increase from what I've been told by more than one mfr. I'm not saying don't shop around by any means, just that it seems like a fair price.
BTW, solvent should be around $5-5 plus applicator bottle ($3).

James

sawyerc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used sterilite heavy duty tubs for sumps. Of course you can't see through them, but nothing beats $3.99 for a 5, 10, 20, or 30 gallon sump. These are the only plastic tubs that I've tested that don't bow noticably.

jims47

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a sump 3 yr 4 mo ago out of the plexiglass (.220 or close to 1/4") from home depot. I used weld-on #3 and hand scraped the saw marks on the edges, no leaks yet. 28"x14"x16" , I have no regrets with it, but, it is a sump not a show tank.
Jim

djpatter

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used extruded acrylic (the cheaper stuff) for my DIY tank and sump. I have a 65 gal (used ½” acrylic) tank which I had cut and squared by a local plastic comany. For my sump which is 20-30 gal I used ¼”, but it is braced twice with divisions inside of the sump. I used scrap acrylic for the sump and cut it myself, it isn’t very pretty, but it only cost me 10 dollars. My system has been running for 6 weeks now and there are no problems so far.

This link will help you to calculate what sheet thickness needs to be used

http://cyro.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cyro.c ... PTE*&p_li=

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: