• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NoLimit

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -- I cracked my 10G sump/fuge over the weekend, and got the OK from my wife to build a new, slightly larger acrylic sump, which I plan to raise off of the floor, and put on a low stand, essentially next to my display.

I'm planning to raise the sump up, so as to make viewing my fuge critters easier (cause I think they're so cool...)

My first problem is going to be how to get the drain hose from my overflow to move water UP over a short span. My tank is rather low, about 16 inches off the floor, and sitting on half of my TV stand, so placing a sump under the tank isn't an option.

Any ideas? I could go for an overflow with less depth behind the tank, which will make it a little easier, but I'm wondering if the drain pressure is enough to push the water up and sideways for about 10 inches???

My next question is as to where I can find some good info on the right way to assemble an acrylic sump. I remember a really good site that had step by step pics of one in progress, but can't locate it now....

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

jjboods

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not be able to get the water to go up without a pump. I'm not sure what would happen if you had a power outage. And it sounds like you'd be pumping the water back into the tank from the fuge. You might want to reverse everything. Put the overflow on the fuge going back to the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: