• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just thought to post the design of a zero clearance canopy. It just happens that my tank has one corner just in front of my fireplace (about 1" distance) and I couldn't use the traditional hinges in the back.

My father designed and build it when he came by our place this summer. The important features of the canopy are:
- opens with zero clearance in the front (i.e., the front cover goes up without requiring any space in front of the tank)
- the front part goes up completely (such that I can reach into the tank over the rim of the tank (as opposed to over the canopy).
- the lights stay in place when I'm playing with my hand in the tank such that I can see what I'm doing.

Nice goodies also afforded by this design:

- the lights (2 x 250W PFO HQI pendants) are easy to move back to get more space when I play in the water.
- the lights can be removed one at a time without opening the canopy to clean them
- the lights can be adjusted for height really easy
- the top of the canopy just stays up when I put it up without the need for a prop
- has rust-proof hinges
- looks good (no cuts on the front, no visible fans)
- has good ventilation (both in the back and where the lights get in).
- is structurally sound
- has an open back such that all my plumbing (sump return/refugium return/circulation) can come into the tank without headaches.

The canopy in discussion is the one on top. The one on the bottom is my old canopy.

All the best,
Mihai

Attachments

• c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 538
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 538
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 547

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reminds me of a couple of school desks I had in my room growing up.. Is there where you got the design idea from?

Looks groovy btw - I love the "dirty wood" style. If it were mine I wouldn't overfinish it.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reminds me of a couple of school desks...

Actually it's my father's design. I'm really sure he didn't get it from school desks where you grew up... unless you grew up in Romania :).

Looks groovy btw - I love the "dirty wood" style. If it were mine I wouldn't overfinish it.

Oh, but it's finished :). It had to be "dirty wood" to match the rest of the stand and furniture in the living room.

Reminds me of the way Lamborghini doors open
That's correct. For me, the first image that came to mind was "space ship", but you're right, Lamborghini is more down to earth (and yet so far :) ).

All the best,
M.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: