• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

BlokX

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay. so my basic idea is to have a 5 gallon bucket i keep filled with tap water. have the ro/di filter hooked to a pump that pumps water from the 5 gallon bucket into the sump. do they make a switch that will power a pump when the water gets below a certain depth?

i've read up on a few gravity-fed setups and such, but i would much preffer just a simple power on/off switch for a pump if possible.

thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. it's called a float switch. do a search here on rdo and you'll get lots of answers!

Welcom to RDO

B

BlokX

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tarasco":3bgyfm5i said:
I'm not much of a DIY guy, so I bought my float switch from autotopoff.com

that's all i was looking for! thanks!

are you using the RO/DI solenoid as well? just wonder if it works well.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are mechanical float switches, and there are level sensor that use airpressure, some level sensor uses infrared, but I find the IR type is less reliable.

I used the level sensor from spectrapure.com, and I have little problem with it. I use this unit connected to spectrapure's litermeter dosing pump for top off my system.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thread that talks about a couple of ways of mounting the cheapy mechanical float switches.

I personally use two float switches that are connected in series. This insures that if one sticks in the open posistion the other would remain closed. I am anally concerned about a single float switch sticking open and flooding your tank with fresh water a ruing your flooring.

My floats control a receptacle. I plug a maxi-jet pump into that receptacle. The MJ feeds water from a bucket of RO/DI water that is in the stand.

With my fairly bullet proof setup, my worst exposure if both floats stuck open would be 5 gallons of water. My sump could handle most of that.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gravaty system with a float valve. It works well for me. Like Louey I have a container that I have to vill every few days, but if the valve fails I will not flood.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: