• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

superfiend1313

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone i'm new to the site. I currently have a 75G reef setup and want a bigger tank. I have always been told that the floor can only support so much. I live in an apt. building on the second floor. I know my floors aren't concrete because I can here the neighbors upstairs walking around. I want to get a 180G AGA tank but dont know if my floor can support it. I have been told that I'll be fine if i just put a 3/4" piece of plywood under the stand coming out about 6" all the way around. But i need a few more opinions before I spend all the money, and so that my downstairs neighbors dont get a new skylight and fish tank if you know what I mean. I'm assuming the tank full with sand and LR will weigh approx. 1800LBS. It will be goin with its back to my dining room wall that is 8-9ft long with the main wall to the building on the left and closet for sump and pumps etc on the right. Please help me. With any suggestions at all thanks.
Dan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it will support it or not, but you may want to check with your landlord. Having that big of a tank in an apartment is usually frowned upon.

If you are still going to do it you need to place it over a bearing wall in the apartment below you.

Also you need to have it Perpendicular to the floor joists.

Hope that helps

superfiend1313

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i own my apt its in a co-op building. I bought a stud finder today to see where the beams are. I cant find the damn building blue prints ne where. its a difficult decision I want a big tank but am real worried wether or not the floor can take it. Thanks for you input though. Please ne one else comment I need as many opinions as possible.

RobertoVespucci

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get 50 sacks of concrete from the local home depot and pile them up on the floor where you're putting the tank. Check for any signs of flexing in the ceiling below, or the baseboard getting out of whack on your floor. Oh, keep your receipt to take back the concrete.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
superfiend1313":e6pz5ws8 said:
well i own my apt its in a co-op building. I bought a stud finder today to see where the beams are. I cant find the damn building blue prints ne where. its a difficult decision I want a big tank but am real worried wether or not the floor can take it. Thanks for you input though. Please ne one else comment I need as many opinions as possible.

If you are looking for the floor joists they should be fairly easy to locate with a stud finder

If you have an old wooden floor like mine the joists run perpendicular to the flooring

If you have carpet with plywood under it you can pull the carpet and look for nails or screws

If you have Tile or Linoleoum or the newer wooden flooring you will need to use the stud finder

Follow the directions that came with the stud finder and make sure its a good battery, when they get low on power they start acting flaky

I like the concrete bag idea, its sounds like something I would do......

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: