• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

usafresq1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a good website for wiring? I'm planning a 20L aquarium and will need info on wiring the ballast and other electrical equipment and looking for some good electrical info. Can anyone help?

Kevin

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most ballasts come with a wiring diagram printed right on them.

What other stuff are you trying to wire up?

usafresq1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I want to (if possible) wire everything together, pumps, lights, heater everything and run it into one one chord that runs into the socket. I don't even know how smart that would be. But I do want to have a real nice clean look like smontanus's design in the nano reef build off. So I'm looking for information on how much equipment can a common household socket hold and what would cause a fire hazard what wouldn't etc etc.

Does that help you in getting a better idea of the type of info I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Kevin

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to find out how much your receptacle will run you need to know what circuit its on in your house, and how much that circuit is rated for. Its common for each circuit in a house to have a breaker on it that trips at 15 amps.

I ran my wiring for my tank like this

Everything plugs into one of those multiple plug things which is plugged into the wall.

So all you see when you are looking at the tank is one cord

Now the inside is a rats nest!

hehe

Here is a site you may find helpful: http://www.electrical-online.com/howtoa ... oIntro.htm

A lot more sites can be found by using Google and typing "Electrical wiring for dummies"

Not meant as an insult or anything, I type for dummies at the end of most of my google searches, it turns up some interesting sites

HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics of your setup when you get done, I would love to see it

usafresq1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on taking plenty of pics along the way to show the progress of everything. First things first, I need to move in the summer. LOL

Kevin

drewread

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
West Virginia law will allow you to calculate how much you can put on a circuit...

Watts (W) = Volts (V) x Amps (A)

So for example:

60W light bulb @ 100V = 0.54A

how many 60W lightbulbs per 15a circuit? 110 x 15 = 1650w / 60w = 27 lightbulbs...

Now of course this in not really accurate because we have to allow for line loss so leave yourself some room for error.....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: